Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 Std > SBS2011

Hi all,

Next week I'm doing a "migration" for a customer from Windows Server 2003 Std to SBS2011.

I've done migrations from SBS2003 to SBS2011 without any major issues so far, but this one will be different as it's WS 2003 Std to SBS.

My first idea is to build the SBS2011 server as a new domain and manually get the data over - mailboxes as PSTs and robocopy the data. I know there are plenty of pitfalls with this idea like having to re-create users / groups and re-applying permissions, profiles etc.

I'm going to start doing some Googling over the weekend as prep, but any ideas here will be welcomed.
    Regards,

Lee

Re: Windows Server 2003 Std > SBS2011

I have used Jeff Middletons kit (www.sbsmigration.com) in the past -- not cheap, but will probably save you more in time than it costs.

However, for older, less stable installs, a new domain may be an option
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Won't be able to use any kit - it'll all be done with the tools provided by Microsoft.

Just a thought, what would happen if I just treated the source server as an SBS2003 server - would the migration fail?
      Regards,

Lee

Comment

Is this to new hardware? Is the current AD in good working order?
        You could still "swing it". Basically leave your production server running and build another temporary DC (on your laptop or other computer - preferably in a virtual machine). Take the temporary DC offline and install just the Windows 2008R2 part of your SBS on your new server and promote it to a DC with the same name as your existing server. You can then upgrade your "new" server to SBS 2011.
        All this can be done whilst your production server is still running.
        Finally, back up the data and the PST's to a meium that can be transported to your new SBS and restore (there is a special "restore-only" version of ntbackup for Server 2008R2.
        For full details you still need the migration kit - but worth it IMHO.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          Is this to new hardware? Is the current AD in good working order?
          Yes and yes I think so - need to confirm with the diag tools first.

You could still "swing it". Basically leave your production server running and build another temporary DC (on your laptop or other computer - preferably in a virtual machine). Take the temporary DC offline and install just the Windows 2008R2 part of your SBS on your new server and promote it to a DC with the same name as your existing server. You can then upgrade your "new" server to SBS 2011.
          All this can be done whilst your production server is still running.
          Finally, back up the data and the PST's to a meium that can be transported to your new SBS and restore (there is a special "restore-only" version of ntbackup for Server 2008R2.
          Do you know of any decent Microsoft guides that explain all that as I have a few questions but I guess it's better to ready the guides and understand the process first.

For full details you still need the migration kit - but worth it IMHO.
          Which "migration kit" is that? Don't forget the source server is not SBS 2003 - it's a WS 2003 Std server with Exchange 2003 installed.
          Regards,

Lee

Comment

Just found this thread on the 'web:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-fb8ae69cacea

Some interesting links that suggest to run the pre-prep tools manually and then follow the SBS2003 > SBS2011 guide - there's a few gotcha's in there.

My "migration" is going direct to a VM host - any gotcha's with that - like not finding the answerfile from a USB key?
            Regards,

Lee

Comment

I'm assuming you've already purchased the software, because I'm slightly curious about why you would migrate from full product to SBS 2011 when you will have to migrate back to full product again (or use SBS essentials) when the time comes to upgrade again.

You can put the answer file on a virtual floppy disk BTW.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                I'm assuming you've already purchased the software, because I'm slightly curious about why you would migrate from full product to SBS 2011 when you will have to migrate back to full product again (or use SBS essentials) when the time comes to upgrade again.

You can put the answer file on a virtual floppy disk BTW.
                Not my choice....I only get told what to install after the purchase. It make sense for the customer to have SBS at the moment. The New SBS will last them for a minimum of 6 years. Their current box is Server 2003 so that's ten years on that for starters.

When the time comes to upgrade, there will be something new in our ever changing technology world.
                Regards,

Lee

Comment

Working...
                X