Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online - Unable to query the information for this computer

Please see screenshot.

After the most recent updates in the last week our SBS serever is getting this message on about half client PCs now. Everytime I reboot it looses communication with a few more. Any ideas?

This is a quad core xenon with 16gb of ram and about 300gb on a Raid5. SBS 2008 (not R2)
    Attached Files

Re: Online - Unable to query the information for this computer

This can be one of a few things. The first being dns doesnt have the correct IP address for that PC or it can be a firewall issue.

Comment

I read a few posts that speak to those comments but I'm not sure how it applies based on the following facts...

1. This started immediately after the last updates.
      2. DNS clearly has the information for the clients in question. They can be queried and pinged.
      3. Firewall settings have not changed. One restart has this message with a set of clients, restart again and it's another set. Seems to be a bit of a communication concern to me.

I see several writeups about starting with a new SQL database for the Monitoring functionality...do you or anyone suggest this as a posible fix? When we had issues with the auto report not running in the middle of the night (it didn't last night either) we have run the script that addresses cleaning up the SQL database.

Comment

my issue was that the windows firewall wasnt allowing exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by TTC_Gareth View Post
          my issue was that the windows firewall wasnt allowing exceptions.
          What were the exceptions not being permitted?
          Did you have to tweak it on the client or a group policy? (i'm not very handy with GPO stuff!)

Comment

I only had one and it was a XP machine and the allow firewall exceptions somehow became unticked. so was just blocking everything.

Comment

here is the info i used:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...s-console.aspx

Comment

Despite what is written here, I usually find that the problem is a DNS issue. DHCP has issued the station a new address, but DNS still points to the old address. Fully check the ping response both ways ie "ping station1.domain.local" (ie use the FQDN) and do "ping -a 192.168.16.x" (or relevant address). There may be stale entries in the reverse lookup zone also.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X