X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 > 2011 Migration / Exch 2010 SP2

Hi guys,

Just after an opinion...

During a SBS2003 > SBS2011 migration, when the server has completed the initial migration stages and the new server is built, when is the best time to apply Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2 + the latest rollup?

Once the box is built?

After migrating mailboxes?

Once the old server is demoted and removed?

Another option?

Cheers
    Lee
    Regards,

Lee

Re: 2003 > 2011 Migration / Exch 2010 SP2

I always do it before migration of the mailboxes, as it requires about an hours downtime to install. In fact as soon as the SBS migration is complete I usually fully patch the target server and get the AV and Backup software running prior to doing any of the migration tasks.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      I always do it before migration of the mailboxes, as it requires about an hours downtime to install. In fact as soon as the SBS migration is complete I usually fully patch the target server and get the AV and Backup software running prior to doing any of the migration tasks.
      Is that even before starting on the migration wizard for the first time?

Yeah - and what with 150+ updates from Windows Update it does take nearly a day's build before you even start the MW tasks.

I installed rollup 4 and 5v2 the other day - I can't believe it takes about 40 mins for rollup 5v2 to install!

Thanks for the reply.
      Regards,

Lee

Comment

Yep, as soon as the target server is up with a confirmed successful migration I'll patch it up to date and then begin the migration tasks through the SBS console.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I would just add that if i am doing the upgrade offline and not connected to the Internet, then I delay installing AV until I have migrated all files and settings and am ready to go into production. I find that AV checking can slow down copy and restore times if every file is checked for viruses, when presumably it is clean before you start.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X