Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011 migration from SBS2003 SMART HOST

Hi all

When doing a SBS 2011 migration from SBS2003.

I currently use a smarthost to send emails out, should I put this smart host on the DEFAULT SBS SMTP Conector or put it on the DEFAULT SMTP VIRTUAL SERVER. The reason I ask is due to hearing about PUBLIC FOLDER replication issue when using a smarthost during SBS migration.

Regards
    Mark

Re: SBS2011 migration from SBS2003 SMART HOST

IIRC the 2011 wizard (console) has a step asking you to specify the smarthost
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Thanks for replying, what about having a smart host on sbs2003 during the installation of the SBS2011 server.

Right now, I've got a new hardware sitting with a USB key + answerfile inserted, and sbs2011 dvd in the dvd drive it's all ready to go for migration installation.

Should I leave the smart host on sbs2003 while installing sbs2011 or remove it before installtion then put it on the sbs2011.

to put it another way..... Is it ok to install SBS2011 into the current SBS2003 config with a smarthost set on the DEFAULT SBS SMTP CONNECTOR on sbs 2003.

Regards
      Mark

Comment

Read through the migration guides, they have detailed steps on when to remove connectors from the old server and make the new authoritative for outbound email. As Ossian says, there is a wizard in the SBS 2011 console for adding the smart host and this should be used.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi guys

Cheers for the input, I've let rip and the install have been a success, I removed the smart host while doing the install.

Regards
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X