X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 migrate from POP connectors

Hi all,

I hope I can get a quick answer.

One of our clients has Windows SBS 2003 and we use the POP3 connectors to deliver email to the individual mailboxes in Exchange.

He is with BT Business (British Telecom) in the UK, and they have migrated his mail to Office 365, and consquently the POP connectors stopped working.

On investigation, I note they are now SSL on port 995 instead of the usual 110 which won't work on the connectors as far as I can see.

So, I am told that using MX records is the way to go, and after a chat with BT helpline, they pointed me to a website to add the domain name (presumably just the bit after the @ for the email addresses?) and the external IP of the router at this site.

Is this the best way to go?

My other question - once the MX is set up, do I need to do anything more on the server?
    How will Exchange know what to do with all the incoming mails for instance?
    Do I need to open Port 25 on the router? I thought that was open to to attack if I did that?

Thanks for any advice.
    Neil

Re: SBS 2003 migrate from POP connectors

adding an MX record pointing to your own server means that your server is now responsible for accepting all email for your domain.
    This is, imo, a better way than using POP3 (which is a beastly, old protocol.)

what you need to consider though, which you've already mentioned is:
    1st) - you need to make sure you have a static IP address.
    2) you need to make sure on your firewall, port 25 is open inbound, and directed to the internal IP address of your server (which would normally also have it's own static IP)
    3) Exchange probably already knows how to accept email for your domain, but check recipient policies.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

SSL POP3 doesn't work with the native connector, but there are 3rd party alternatives that do work such as POPcon. Migrating away to direct delivery is a better long term solution though.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks both, I was mostly curious as to how Exchange knows what to do with the incoming mails (distribute them etc)

Comment

Originally posted by neil40 View Post
          Thanks both, I was mostly curious as to how Exchange knows what to do with the incoming mails (distribute them etc)
          Exchange will deal with mail just like any other mail system. An email is destined for [email protected] an account holds the email address [email protected] exchange delivers to that person - simples

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
            Exchange will deal with mail just like any other mail system. An email is destined for [email protected] an account holds the email address [email protected] exchange delivers to that person - simples
            Excellent, just what I wanted to hear!

Comment

a short answer is, when exchange sees the inbound email, it looks at the recipient address, then it queries AD to see if any of the mail-enabled objects have that email address
              then it delivers it accordingly.

the thing is - if your internal users already use outlook and connect to exchange for their email, and you're just pulling down email with popconnector, then it'll already all be set up most likely.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

DIDn't the OP say he is now on Office 365? So why would he want to use his Exchange in that case?
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X