SBS2011- Network share opening documents/files slowly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011- Network share opening documents/files slowly

Hi Guys, having an issue with my server, tried to fix it but running out of ideas.

So we have a network with 1 sbs2011 server, and 7 machines accessing the network shares.

4 XP machines
    2 Windows 7
    1 Mac

2 of the XP machins access the files fine and have no issues.

2 of the other XP machines seem to have a 20 second - 30 second delay when opening office docs mainly.

They are connected with a gigabit connection
    and a 100mb files copies over almost instantly seemingly showing that the data rate seems to be ok.

First dns entry points to the server and they are all on a domain. ( This only started recently when we moved from a 2008 server to sbs2011 <-- we didnt migrate the server, just copied data and set up from a fresh, previously there was no domain just fileshare)

If anyone has any neat ideas to try out that would be greatly appreciated, Or even any previous threads that seem to have an answer.

I have been googling but nothing has worked so far.

main things ive tried.

Changing DNS
    Remapping drives
    Removing office validation tool
    i also tried removing any registry settings for the old server incase it is trying to look there before hand and timing out

but yeah thanks for any help! im going to continue trying to tackle this but any replys are greatly appreciated

Thanks All!

Jack
    Last edited by Dozzly; 11th January 2013, 13:08.

Re: SBS2011- Network share opening documents/files slowly

The two XP machines that have the issues - have you tried running them in safe mode with networking and then checking access to the file on the server?

Just to rule out anything local to the machines like on demand on access AV scanning etc...
    Regards,

Lee

Comment

Hi Lee, Thanks for the reply. Will hopefully test this out today and get back to you!

Cheers mate!

Jack

Comment

Do the accounts to which the users log into the machines differ? Have you tried a different acocunt on one of the PC's which is having issues? If you log on locally to the workstation and then try and open the networked document does it open quicker?

Have you setup templated within Office to point to network shares? Does a locally copied document take the same amount of time to open as a network document?

Plenty of things to test against there

Comment

Thank you again for replys! im going to connect remotely and try to test these now. I still havent tried safe mode as i would need to be on site to make sure i can reconnect to the machine. Will report back if i have any luck!
          Cheers again

Comment

Do the accounts to which the users log into the machines differ?

I have tried multiple accounts, i tried 2 domain accounts both are still very slow, and i tried a local admin account which was still very slow. The admin account had no drives mapped so i mapped them and then tried opening a file. same old problem.

Have you tried a different acocunt on one of the PC's which is having issues? If you log on locally to the workstation and then try and open the networked document does it open quicker?

same as above

Have you setup templated within Office to point to network shares?

Nope the template file locally is the correct size and i have never pointed office to any templates on the network.

Does a locally copied document take the same amount of time to open as a network document?

No a local copy opens nice and quick, it also copies over very quick

Comment

I have tried in safe mode and it is a lot faster than before.

Will try and pin point which software is causing the problem! Still confusing me alot though!!

Comment

Its still slow when word is open and the you open the document on the server.
                Theres still a pause then its loaded into word.

Comment

Which Office are you using? If 2003 or 2007, then Office File Validation may be causing the problem. that will give you the relevant solutions.
                  Also try:

Go to Excel
                  File
                  Excel Options
                  Trust center
                  Trust Center Settings
                  Trusted Documents..
                  TICK should be on, => Allow Documents on Network to be trusted.

Also try with/without anti-virus disabled - if AV affects speed then make sure that the AV is configured NOT to check network drives.
                  I recently fixed a similar problem for a client by cleaning all "offline folder" references in the registry - changed "\\<server>\users\<username>"
                  to "\\server[1]>"\redirectedfolders\<username>"
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi, I have tried most of these things.
                    Yesterday i uninstalled AVG, Malwarebytes, Firewall has always been disabled.
                    i also stopped any non microsoft processes that i thought might be causing and issue and the problem remains.

In safe mode the problem is fixed! I cant see any other unusual software on there

Which Office are you using? If 2003 or 2007, then Office File Validation may be causing the problem. that will give you the relevant solutions.

I am using office 2007, its also pictures from windows picture viewer and pdfs that are slow opening its looking like a more general slow network problem than office to be honest.
                    The other computers dont have nearly as many issues as this though? could raid (RAID 5) issues cause problems on select computers more than others?

Go to Excel
                    File
                    Excel Options
                    Trust center
                    Trust Center Settings
                    Trusted Documents..
                    TICK should be on, => Allow Documents on Network to be trusted.

I have done this for word and it made no difference at all

Also try with/without anti-virus disabled - if AV affects speed then make sure that the AV is configured NOT to check network drives.

Removed anti virus rebooted and the issue still exists

I recently fixed a similar problem for a client by cleaning all "offline folder" references in the registry - changed "\\<server>\users\<username>"
                    to "\\server[1]>"\redirectedfolders\<username>"

Bit confused by this offline folder reference bit. I search for offline folder in regedit and couldnt find anything, also i previously removed all ips related to any previous offline servers. still not change

I also created a new document on the mapped drive and opened it, this was just as slow as any other document
                    Last edited by Dozzly; 17th January 2013, 12:39.

Comment

trying to write down anything that might be helpfull to someone reading.

Tried opening a file with photoshop cs3 and that too takes AGES! alot longer than it should. It takes about 20-30 seconds for the photoshop pop up to even appear, when i copy the file locally its an instant 2 seconds until it appears

I would expect that to be a network issue, but it works fine copied locally and in safe mode!

....considering a reinstall on these 2 machines at the moment. But would LOVE to get this figured out, its making me goo crazy!

Thanks everyone for replies so far!

EDIT*
                      I have added a usb drive to the server and shared it to eliminate any possible raid issues.
                      so i believe this is machine related and does not involve the server at all!..
                      Last edited by Dozzly; 17th January 2013, 17:17.

Comment

There were a couple of OVF patches that needed to be installed. Have you done these??

There are also some regiostry keys that can be edited as well.

Comment

Will look into those and try them today
                          Thanks!

Comment

What speed is your network and have you looked at the NIC's on these machines to see what speed/duplex they are set at?

Can you try and access a shared folder on another PC which isnt the server and see if you still have issues opening files etc?

Comment

After using selective startup to try and trouble shoot the problem, i managed to get it down to it being the TC/IP NetBIOS Helper Service.

Disabled this, (AFTER AGES! OF trying to find which service was causing the problem!)
                              and all seems much quicker!

Comment

Working...
                              X