Life after SBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after SBS

Although SBS 2011 is probably good for the next 3-5 years, at least, I thought I would ask the members out here, where do they think they are going to go next? I could possibly do this as a poll, but I didn't want to limit the answers to just the possibilities I think of - I wanted to open the discussion up to as many possibilities as their are replies ( or probably more!)
    MS wants us to go the route of 2012 Essentials + Office365 - however I don't see that as the majority option. In fact I don't see MS as teh majority solution at all.
    Please divide your answers into on-premise, cloud and hybrid solutions.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Life after SBS

We're in the process of doing our first migration to Office 365, and it has been so painful that we could have migrated the existing Exchange 2003 server to Exchange 2010 3 times. The support is terrible and so is the documentation, and it's not cheap either.

Our preference will be for customers to go to full product I think. The 25 user limit in Server 2012 Essentials rules it out almost instantly for a large number of our customers currently on SBS.

I still have no faith in the cloud so Google Apps is also not an option for me, especially as they have now removed EAS support for free accounts. I doubt this will be the end of the sabre rattling from MS, Google and Apple either as they all try to push their own hosted solutions.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

It has really depended on the client situation. We've done several migrations to Office 365 and there's always been some pain involved. The biggest issue we've run into is the bandwidth required for a hosted solution.

I see us doing a mixture of Windows Ess/Std with Office 365 and Exchange on prem. It will depend on the available bandwidth and the need upgrade.

Honestly, for our clients that don't have in-house IT, the TOC of Office 365 is going to be better than on prem, provided they can get the bandwidth needed.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

@Cruachan
        The 25 user limit in Essentials can be "broken" - but it is not cheap.
        Buy a VOLUME LICENSE copy of Windows Server 2012 Standard. You will get a Standard license key and an Essentials license key. Standard lets you install one Hyper-V host + 2 instances of Server in VMs. So, install one VM instance as Essentials - you will get the dashboard, client backup and Remote Web Access. Install the other VM instance as Standard Server + Exchange. Then upgrade the Essentials to Standard as per this Technet document and you have "SBS 2012" for up to 75 users. Don't forget you need to buy Windows and Exchange CALS according to the total number of users/devices.
        Last edited by teiger; 10th January 2013, 11:37. Reason: Name change
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I did see that article, but it's a horribly expensive and convoluted way just to keep the Essentials features and even at that you still have the old SBS 75 user limit despite having purchased full product.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            Although SBS 2011 is probably good for the next 3-5 years, at least, I thought I would ask the members out here, where do they think they are going to go next? I could possibly do this as a poll, but I didn't want to limit the answers to just the possibilities I think of - I wanted to open the discussion up to as many possibilities as their are replies ( or probably more!)
            MS wants us to go the route of 2012 Essentials + Office365 - however I don't see that as the majority option. In fact I don't see MS as teh majority solution at all.
            Please divide your answers into on-premise, cloud and hybrid solutions.
            I'm curious to see where you're going with this. SBS has clearly come to end of life primarily because the product has run its course and because of advances made in Cloud adoption, and the accompanying infrastructure on the web. SMB's can clearly get equally and even better value at less cost than an on premise solution. That being said Cloud ( Or Loud as i prefer to call it ) is clearly not the solution to every business. Matter of fact i think it has little to no value in the Enterprise at all.
            But thats another discussion.
            Apart from Google and Microsoft who have the most mature offering in terms of productivity apps in this space who or what do you see as the offering the 'majority' option for SME's...

Comment

I Think we will be looking at something like Cruachan said.

under 25 users we will do Windows 2012E and 365 Hosted exchange

above we will look at Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V with one VM for AD/DNS/DHCP/File sharing with the other for Exchange. SBS console is nice but not really needed.

Need to take a look at TS Gateway to see if licenses are needed so that its easy for users to get external access.

The biggest problem that i see with what microsoft are doing is the price jump for small businesses

Comment

Working...
              X