Partitioning Data Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partitioning Data Drive

I've decided to partition my 3TB Data drives (4X1TB in RAID 5 config) into two 1.5TB partitions (for backup purposes per some advice I got on this board). I bought a new Dell R320 server and it boots up to a screen asking if I want to do a clean install or a server migration. I'm assuming there are no tools to do the partitioning built into SBS 2011 and I'd like to have the partitioning done before I start the migration process. Is the best procedure to use a third party tool like booting to a live CD w/ GParted and partition that way? Also, will I have any problem partitioning the drive since it's RAID 5?
    Last edited by noRulez43; 29th November 2012, 21:04.

Re: Partitioning Data Drive

the T320 probably comes with SBS pre-installed
    I'd suggest using the gparted livedisk to realign partition boundaries
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

When I went in to look at it with GParted, it is showing that they already did some sort of partitioning scheme. They seem to have partitioned the data drives into two partitions, one being 1.8TB and the other being slightly under 1TB. I guess that will be OK. I know that SBS 2011 has a 2TB max if using their backup program. Hopefully the 1.8TB partition isn't too large.

Comment

I would find the DELL Open Manage disk or download the latest one from support.dell.com and start afresh. It is wizrd driven and asks you to install SBS from the media supplied (hopefully!) You still have to decide whether to migrate or fresh install from scratch (you know I believe in migrating whenver an existing AD is usable, or can be made usable).
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I will be doing a migration for sure. I've got the Dell OpenManage DVD in now and am looking around. Under 'Server OS install' when I look at the information for that it says step 4 is 'Configure RAID (optional)' and step 5 is 'Configure the physical disk'. When I go through the steps and select the OS of 'Microsoft Windows SBS 2011', the steps all change and I only get the RAID configuration screen. Where would I be able to repartition the RAID 5 array in the setup process?

edit: I ended up redoing the RAID configuration and created three virtual disks. One for the OS and two 1.5(ish)TB disks for data. I then went through the OS setup and am now back to the part that gives me a choice between migrating or a clean install. I booted back up in GParted and the OS partition looks good (NTFS) /dev/sda but sdb and sdc for the data partitions shows that the file system is unallocated. Do I need to fix this before I continue with the migration or will SBS format those partitions accordingly at a later point?
          Last edited by noRulez43; 4th December 2012, 20:42.

Comment

You only need to create the partition for the OS at install time, you can leave the data drive(s) unallocated if you so desire. If you partition them at install time they will take D:, E: and so on and the Optical drive will be at the end of that. If you don't partition them the Optical Drive will be D: and the data drives after that.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Cruachan. Just thought of another question: Is there an advantage one way or the other over creating virtual disks in the RAID config vs just partitioning one virtual disk later on?

Comment

Working...
              X