Add 2nd SBS server to same network with different IP scheme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add 2nd SBS server to same network with different IP scheme

I have an SBS 2003 server. I built an SBS 2008 server and would like to use this when the SBS 2003 finally goes.

I know I can't run two SBS servers on the same network, but can I setup the SBS 2008 on a different IP scheme and physically connect it to the same network as the SBS 2003?

My goal is to use a new workstation on the same ip scheme as the SBS 2008 so I can perform some tests without interferring with the current SBS 2003 network.

Is this doable?

Re: Add 2nd SBS server to same network with different IP scheme

You haven't got it quite right.

You can't run two SBS servers in the same AD domain, except during the migration from one to the other.

You most certainly can have two SBS servers on the same layer 2 network and even on the same layer 3 network for that matter. What you want to make sure is that you disable the DHCP service on the new server (although I believe it will do that itself when it detects the SBS 2003 DHCP server) until you're ready to migrate to it and start using it.

My suggestion would be that you migrate your current SBS deployment to the new SBS server. That way you can make a smooth transition of user accounts, email, Shares, etc., etc. Microsoft has a migration document that you can use to accomplish this, or better yet, use a migration kit from www.sbsmigration.com.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I'll clarify what I want to do.
      SBS 2003 server is on 192.168.1.xxx network.

I have an SBS 2008 server on a 192.168.2.xxx network with a different domain name. DHCP disabled.

I want to connect this server to the same ethernet switch as the old server.
      I think having two independant subnets should be ok? I don't want them to see each other.

I basically want to configure a clean SBS 2008 server, test it as best I can and then power it down. I'd like to have this as a backup for when the SBS 2003 server is toast.

Can you please share your thoughts on this?
      Thanks

Comment

Honestly, I think that if you're not going to migrate from the old server to the new server then you're setting yourself up for a lot of work and probably a lot of frustration and unhappy users.

Setting up a new AD domain with the new server is going to necessitate creating new user accounts for everyone, creating and securing Shares, restoring or copying data, modifying group policies, logon scripts, adding and securing printers, etc., etc.

In addition, users will lose their current user profiles and you'll probably be stuck digging data out of the old user profile to dump into the new user profile. The list of potential pitfalls is pretty long.

If you've got the new server now why not implement an orderly migration from the old to the new? Migrating to the new server by using a migration kit from www.sbsmigration.com can be done inside of a week.

Comment

I agree with Joe, you should migrate to the new server. You'll have to rebuild that 2008 SBS box to do the migration.

This details the migration process from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=4023

But getting the kit and support from www.sbsmigration.com would make things a lot easier for you.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

My plan is to work on the SBS 2008 in a 'test environment' so I can create the user accounts, group policies, etc. and have this server 'on standby'.

This is a 10 workstation office. I didn't plan to migrate because I want to keep the SBS 2003 running until it crashes. At that point, I will connect the SBS 2008 and have all workstations logon to this domain. Of course, I hope to have tested everything by then.

Do you still think this is impractical?

Comment

In my opinion, yes it is impractical, for the following reasons:

How do you plan to keep data in sync between the two servers?

How do you plan to restore data from the old server to the new server when the old server dies?

How do you plan to migrate the user profiles? When you join the workstations to the new domain (which you'll need to do one-by-one) you're going to have 10 users who can't find their documents, shortcuts, can't access their email, can't print anything, etc.

Are you going to manually set up the directory structure on the new server and manually create all of the Shares and permissions to match the old server? How about printers shared on the old server?

You'll need to manually reconfigure all of your user profiles (email, printers, etc).

Etc., etc. There's a long list of things to consider when migrating to a new domain. If you were to simply migrate the existing domain to the new server (using a www.sbsmigration.com kit) all of these items are addressed step-by-step with the kit and the kit has utilities to automate much of this (Share set up and configuration, etc).

I've gone through this a few times, with and without a migration kit, and I'd much rather use a kit. It's saved me countless hours and days of troubleshooting and listening to the endless complaints form users about why they can't do this or access that. With a migration kit, the users go home on Friday having used the old server and come in on Monday using the new server and it's like nothing happened.

Comment

Hi Joe
                I understand what you're saying, but this is relatively a small office with not many bells and whistles.

By doing a migration I'm basically retiring the SBS 2003 server. I basically want to have the SBS 2008 server as a spare server.

All data is stored on the server in shared folders which all backup daily to external drives. So I don't think keeping the servers in sync really matters. When the new server is finally setup I will restore the data from the external backup drives.

The server is used for file sharing and mail server. Setting up the folder structure is not much involved.

All workstations have the same shortcuts and printers and no important files are stored locally. I figure when I'm comfortable with the new server I will have each workstation join the new domain to make sure everything is setup and working properly (I plan to do 1 workstation at a time). When that's done I'll switch back to the original domain and leave it be.

That's how I have it planned it in my head.

Comment

I really don't see the point of what you are trying to do ( several people have already hinted to you as such).
                  Why would anyone keep a server running until it crashes? You obviously have the hardware and software. You could run an orderly, PLANNED, migration so that everything goes smoothly, instead of an unplanned crash - which, BTW, will probably happen at the most inconvenient time for the business. After the crash you will probably have to work round the clock for about 36 hours with nobody working, no mail flowing and the business ground to a halt! IMnotsoHO, that is a recipe for bankruptcy. Even 10 users are doing something to generate businessand income!
                  Experiience has shown me to allow an average of 2 hours per workstation to transfer profiles and domains = 20 hours work. Plus you have all the data and mailboxes to export import.
                  If you want to test, make an image, or better still, restore your working SBS 2003 to a virtual machine and PLAN your migration to 2008/11 from there. There is sbsmigration.com and a Microsoft document (if it is still around) of migrating to 2008.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I'm not waiting for the server to crash, but trying to prepare for when it does.

So, being that I'm going about this the total wrong way can you advise on what to do in my case. I would like to keep the SBS 2003 running, but I want to have a server backup solution.

Is there a way to have a second server in sync in case the primary goes down?

What do you recommend? And thanks for your input - this is obviously not my expertise, but I want to set this up the most effecient way possible.

Comment

About the only thing you can do with SBS is add a second server as an additional DC to make Active Directory fault tolerant. If the SBS crashes fatally, you reinstall it, add it to the original domain and then complete the installation, so it picks up the original AD. IMHO full backups are probably as good!

From what you describe above, I would personally migrate SBS to the latest version (2011) and then consider high availability solutions.
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If I add an additional DC and my primary crashes, will I still remain up for the short-term?

Comment

No Exchange, but logons will continue to function
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I can work with that. My e-mail is hosted by my web server and routed to Exchange. I have the ability to access webmail outside of exchange.

If I leave my primary SBS 2003, can I use 2008 standard as DC?

Comment

Yes, but you will need to extend the active directory schema before you DCPROMO the 2008 box
                              (fully documented process with lots of information on line)
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X