Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Unable to remove roles

I have 2 server one runnig SBS2003 and the other SBS2011

the server that running the SBS 2003 was and still a domain controler runnig DNS and AD services

now we have upgrade to the SBS2011 and I make it the domain controler running DNS and AD services it is working fine but now i want to add the SBS 2003 to the domain and i can not find how to remove the roles of the DNS and the AD. I have started dcpromo but im not sure im on the right way here.

Please advice, Thank you
    Last edited by elinoy; 9th November 2012, 22:01.

Re: SBS 2003 Unable to remove roles

You can't!
    Am SBS domain can have only one SBS server (any version) holding the FSMOs. It can have other DCs, so a solution might be to wipe the SBS 2003 box and install Server (any version but you must buy a license) and make that an additional DC

Also note after a certain amount of time (I think 1 month but it may be as short as a week), all hell will break loose if you have both SBS servers in the same domain)
    Last edited by Ossian; 10th November 2012, 21:57.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You can't!
      Am SBS domain can have only one SBS server (any version) holding the FSMOs. It can have other DCs, so a solution might be to wipe the SBS 2003 box and install Server (any version but you must buy a license) and make that an additional DC

Also note after a certain amount of time (I think 1 month but it may be as short as a week, all hell will break loose if you have both SBS servers in the same domain)

Thank you I do appreciate it. I can not stop laugh about " all hell will break loose" I guess you talking from exprience LOL

I will get me 2003 STD or 2008 STD. and reload the server.

Comment

IIRC "all hell" is the SBS boxes rebooting every hour, or something similar -- not conducive to a smoothly functioning network, anyway!
        Microsoft mention 7 days grace for a 2003 hardware refresh: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
        And here is the reference to the hourly shutdown: http://rangler.co.uk/?p=78
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X