Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs + prem vm license question

Hi,

would the following be allowed under MS licensing, or would i have to take another aproach?

Physical server1 running Hyper-V (using prem addon license)
    - VM1 - SBS2011 std in VM
    - VM2 - SVR2008r2 as RDS (independant license)
    Physical server2 running 2008r2 svr, and SQL (ie the prem addon license)

Or as i'm using the hyper-v from prem addon, does that mean the rest has to be on the same box?

The requirement being they have a new server waiting for installation, and requirement for sbs2011 and RDS now, but SQL requirement won't be needed for 6-12 months when there LOB software is converted. This server would then be supported/maintained by the software company directly (so don't want them messing with a virtual system ).

thanks in advance

Re: sbs + prem vm license question

They both need to be on the same physical box, unfortunately for you
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

To qualify what I said, you would need 1 SBS, 1 Prem addon, and one other Server license. However, I would rather give the LOB Vendor access to the VM than another server. Easier to maintain a VM for you and you can limit his access to only the SQL VM
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

thanks for the reply.
        From further reading in various places I now get the impression that the SQL component of Prem Addon need only be install on the SBS network, and therfore the following scenario would be ok....

Server1 - HyperV from Prem, SBS as VM, 2008R2 from Prem with RDS as VM
        Server2 - Purchased 2008R2, SQL from Prem

Can anyone confirm?

Comment

So are you saying I can do it like this, or I can't?

They have requested dedicated server, therefore it falls entirely under their service contract. With a VM, this would not be the case. With other elements such as RDS on the same server this would not be the case.

Comment

Working...
          X