Windows Updates: Applying Computer Settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Updates: Applying Computer Settings

Over the past few weeks, we have had a number of Windows 7 Workstations and 2008 Servers (including SBS 2008 yesterday) freezing at the "Applying Computer Settings..." screen during startup.

In the case of my SBS 2008, I rebooted this overnight and the next morning, it was still trying to boot.

I tracked the problem down to windows updates not installing properly. In each case, I had to boot into "Safe Mode" and remove the offending updates to get things running again. Depending on the number of updates I have to trawl through, it can be a lengthy process....

Has anyone else been having such issues? I'd like to get to the bottom of this as the server situation is a little worrying.

Re: Windows Updates: Applying Computer Settings

Are you absolutely positive it is freezing? Some of the updates can take an incredibly long time - especially if the hardware isn't so strong.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: Windows Updates: Applying Computer Settings

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      Are you absolutely positive it is freezing? Some of the updates can take an incredibly long time - especially if the hardware isn't so strong.
      Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm fairly certain. I rebooted the SBS 2008 remotely early on Sunday evening and when I arrived at the office on Monday Morning, it was still sitting there.

I removed KB 2661254 & KB 2749655 using Safe Mode and everything was fine.

Comment

Working...
      X