Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 to 2011 migration recovery

Greets to all,

Would appreciate any insight on restoring the source server if a SBS 2003 to 2011 migration has failed. Can the source server be restored/promoted back as DC etc to allow for a clean install of SBS 2011 on the destination server to happen?

Thanks

RKong

Re: SBS 2003 to 2011 migration recovery

I take a system state backup of the source server prior to running the migration preparation wizard, and restore it in the event of a failed migration. I usually just use ntbackup and backup to a USB drive, depending on the spec of the source server you can be back up and ready to try again in an hour or so.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Cruachan,

Many thanks for that. System state backup it is.

Cheers
      RKong

Comment

No worries, make sure you reset the DSRM password before you take the backup, assuming you don't already know it.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I usually take a full backup/image of the system before I start - to be on the safe side.
          Whilst system state can sometimes be enough - especially if it is a single server as in most cases, you never know if you have left something behind.
          BTW I do the above even when I use swing migration. One of the big beauties of swing is that it doesn't affect your production server and you can always go back if needed.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I should have clarified my post slightly - I take an additional System State backup prior to hitting the big red button on the Migration Wizard, I also leave the source server on it's regular backup schedule (Normally a full backup nightly) until the migration is complete. Must be more precise.
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X