Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

check out my NIC details and tell me if this is correct...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check out my NIC details and tell me if this is correct...

Hello,

I've had a few posts here the last few days. Our SBS2008 server had a glitch where our NICs were not functioning for a day...we are good now after disabling and re-enabling them and I'm quite sure I got the settings correct.

I don't know much about IPv6 but I do know it's important for proper DNS routing on a SBS2008 server...so have not touched it.

While looking at the details page (see screenshot) I noted there are two IPv6 values in there...is this correct?
    I also noted there is no value for the gateway...which is an firewall at IPv6 10.0.0.1

The reason I'm inquiring is that I've read a few articles that simply replacing a NIC or setting it back up is not as easy as one would think for most severs...and want to make sure I didn't break anything anywhere else. Two IPv6 addresses seem odd to me, but what do I know!
    Attached Files

Re: check out my NIC details and tell me if this is correct...

The IPv6 addresses are created automatically and therefore should be correct. As far as the IPv6 DG is concerned, it's irrelevant unless you're running an IPv6 network with an IPv6 router, which you're not. I've never had a scenario in an IPv4 network where I've had to change the IPv6 settings for servers or clients.

Comment

We def don't have an IPv6 network...but I did read somewhere that IPv6 must be turned on (or at least NOT turned off) on a SBS2008 or it could cause some DNS routing issues.

Can you explain in the simplest of terms why there are two unique addresses for IPv6 in my view? I know the first one is my NIC but have no idea what the 2nd one belongs too.

I did recreate the static IPv6 value when I setup the new NIC on my system to replicate the previous value...as it didn't appear to recreate this after I created the static IPv4 values. Not sure if my efforts were correct or incorrect now.

The attached screenshot shows what the address value was before I took the NIC offline and after I config'd it with the static value. I'm now wondering if I should have left it CHECKED "obtain an IPv6..." from the get go. Thus my question about two values in the previous screenshot...wanting to know that one wasn't incorrect.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not completely up to speed on IPv6, but one should be the Unique Local address and the other should be the Link Local address.

Comment

Working...
        X