X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 > 2011 Migration Multiple NICs

Hi,

Another migration question!

I'm doing a migration from SBS2003 to 2011 soon. The source server has multiple NICs - one for LAN without a default gateway address and the other NIC is WAN based with a different internal network address and gateway to the router.

I know the best practice is to have a single NIC, but I'm interested to find out what happens if you tried to migrate with multiple NICs.

Does the migration just fail as it doesn't meet the pre-reqs for the migration or does it all go horribly wrong?

Any thoughts on that scenario?

Cheers

Lee
    Regards,

Lee

Re: SBS2003 > 2011 Migration Multiple NICs

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't.

SBS 2008 and 2011 don't support multiple NICs (or at least, Microsoft do not support multiple NIC configurations) and as you point out, best migration practice is to change to single NIC and also disable inbound VPN. I can't see a multi-NIC source server migrating correctly, as (if you've ever had to deal with a failed migration the logs show this) all but one NICs are disabled on the target server during the migration.

I also have a suspicion (as you point out) that the migration prep-tool would fail it's per-requisites check. It's relatively straightforward to change to single NIC: reconfigure the WAN router with an IP on the LAN as it's internal IP, change the port forwarding or firewall rules to point to the LAN IP of the server, disable the WAN NIC of the server and then run the CEICW to change the settings on the server. Don't change anything manually. Only issue is anything with a static IP, but that's why I always use reservations.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do plan to rip out the network before starting the migration - I have a hardware firewall to install so I'll swap it to a single NIC config and remove the current WAN NIC.

Yeah I could disable it, but I've read that can cause issues as well.

Why is is advised to run the CEICW and not just change the IP / DHCP etc?
      Regards,

Lee

Comment

Everything in SBS (Networking, Exchange, IIS etc) is heavily integrated so changing things manually without using the wizards tends to break things. First rule of SBS: UTFW (Use the fun/friendly wizard)
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X