Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

duplicate name on the network (out of the blue?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duplicate name on the network (out of the blue?)

OK, this is a weird one...

My network was a fresh SBS 2008 install a couple of years ago with clients connected to the domain as new computers (no migration)...it was a new domain, period.

There were a handful of PC (12+) that were "point of sales" created from cloned hard drives and I used some utility to create new SIDs...and all has been well for 2 years.

Now I have a handful of those PCs as well as one Server 2003 (non-DC) stating "duplicate name on the network".

I read atleast one item on the intertubes that stated there is a netbios glitch...but it gave no details.

Anyone have a similar experience? As far as I can tell this creates no concern other then message.

EDIT: Ok I rebooted the one DC that is server 2003 R2 and it's also showing the duplicate name error. So I'm guessing all 2003 and XP systems are showing this now.

I can find nothing in the EVENT VIEWER to show duplicate data and the nbtstat –n shows no duplicate entries when run on the client PC showing the concern!
    Last edited by carboncow; 24th September 2012, 06:38.

Re: duplicate name on the network (out of the blue?)

Originally posted by carboncow View Post
    [...]
    I can find nothing in the EVENT VIEWER to show duplicate data and the nbtstat –n shows no duplicate entries when run on the client PC showing the concern!
    In the event viewer look for events conserning 'browser' (-service) in the 'System' log.

Try nbtstat –c
    Confirm any listed ip adresses are showing the correct actual computer names.
    Then test whether or not you can succesfully update the cache of remote names by running nbtstat –R (uppercase 'R').

/Rems
    Last edited by Rems; 24th September 2012, 21:30.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: duplicate name on the network (out of the blue?)

I will do some testing tonight...and review the event in detail.

I did confirm it's every system that is not Win7 or Server 2008!

I did use the nbtstat command last night and I believe it was that switch (-n) which showed no duplication for that client.

Just to be clear should I be running this on the client with the offending message, correct?

Comment

Working...
      X