Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange trouble receiving externally hosted email set as default smtp sbs address...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange trouble receiving externally hosted email set as default smtp sbs address...

As you can see from the title this is a difficult problem to explain I am running SBS2011, I am starting to use the exchange, but am not able yet to change the mx records "company.com "from GoDaddy hosting to my SBS server. The users "default reply to address" is set to the godaddy hosted "[email protected]". I also set up the pop3 connector and is working well.

The whole setup is working perfectly with one problem. Some of the users on the domain have an exchange account in Outlook, they have the godaddy account for sending and receiving, (not using the pop connector) they are using devices such as bb that have the GoDaddy mail server settings. When domain users email them they get it on their outlook but not their devices. Basically the email is sent from the domain user directly to the receiving exchange user without leaving the network, it never goes to the godaddy mail server.

I hope that is clear enough....really need some help! Thanks in advance.

Re: Exchange trouble receiving externally hosted email set as default smtp sbs addres

this is design. you cannot change it.
    Exchange will be authoritative for any domain it's configured for.

Accordingly, when it sees an email for [email protected], it looks at it's routing table, goes "oh, i'm authoritative, deliver to fred's mailbox"

it doesn't look at the MX records, it doesn't try and send it out the interface, it just delivers it locally.

(on a side note, most linux mail servers are like this.)

Simple solution:
    Make sure port 25 is open, inbound, then adjust your MX record, and stop using godaddy and start using exchange
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Exchange trouble receiving externally hosted email set as default smtp sbs addres

Actually, you can change this behaviour in Exchange 2010 by changing the accepted domain type from Authoritative to Internal Relay. Email to a recipient which does not have a mailbox in the Exchange organisation is sent to the internet in this scenario. It's recommended to create a custom send connector to route email for that domain directly to the external email server.

However it would be better IMO to reconfigure the Blackberrys to use either BIS or install BESx on the Small Business Server. That way everything is handled by Exchange except the actual email receipt which is at GoDaddy, and the devices would have to be reconfigured anyway when you change the MX records to point to your server.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you, great answers. I already have the besx installed, just a matter of timing. I would like to redirect the the mx records from godaddy to my exchange. My concern is downtime, do you recommend google as a backup or do you have a better suggestion?

On a side note, is there a pop connector better then the SBS connector....it is giving constent errors.

Comment

There won't be any downtime so long as you leave the POP connector in place until after the MX records are changed. Email will either hit the POP mailbox and be downloaded to the server by the POP connector, or be delivered straight to the server. Give it a week or so until after the MX records have been changed (Over cautious, 48 hours is the standard max time for a DNS change) before removing the POP connectors. I usually recommend making the DNS change late on a Friday afternoon as the weekend is in most businesses the quietest time for email and the change should have propagated by Monday morning.

POPcon is the only other POP connector I've used, it's a wee bit more friendly than the builtin one, but if you are planning to transistion anyway I wouldn't bother as POPcon isn't free.
          Last edited by cruachan; 21st September 2012, 23:02.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X