No announcement yet.

Replacing 2008 SMB With 2011 SMB

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing 2008 SMB With 2011 SMB

Hi everyone I'm new to the site and think itís great.

We have one 2008 SMB which is two years old and has had many issues to the point where Dell was nice enough to exchange it with a 2011 SMB. The problem now becomes how to bring up the new one while the old one is still in production.

My thought process was to have the current 2008 server offline after hours until I can bring up the second one , then on the 2011 box set it up on the firewall on the trusted side with another gateway so the 2008 box has for ex: and the new one will have I want to have both running at the same time until I can get everything moved over as I have 3rd party software to migrate, create users , exchange mailbox etc. I will take the client mailbox and create a PST file, import that into outlook once I was added the machines to the new 2011 server.

What would be the best plan of attack here or is this the best plan ?.

Your thoughts will be appreciated

Re: Replacing 2008 SMB With 2011 SMB

Moved from Suggestions & Feedback to SBS 2011 forum
    IMHO go to and buy the appropriate package -- very cheap given the tools and support you get
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **