issue with google apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue with google apps

Last week we have migrated our e-mail to google apps, aprt from this, we also transferred to another domain name. I try to explain :

1. We used to work with an SBS 2003 environment. Alle e-mailaddresses ended @oldcompany.nl
    2. we now switched to google apps and all users have a new e-mail address @newcompany.nl. All old e-mail addresses are set up as alias in the new environment so users are also reachable at their old address.

So far so good.

Every user has got a new outlook profile (MAPI) which connects with the google e-mail.
    If a user sends out an e-mail to a third party address, everything works fine.
    If a user sends out an e-mail to a @newcompany.nl address, everything works fine.
    But... if a user sends out an e-mail to a @oldcompany.nl address, things go wrong. the mail does go out, but it is never received.
    Problem is probably that mail send to a former internal mail address is handled internally and never reaches the google mailserver.

Question now is, how can we take care that ALL e-mail is send through the google mail server, including e-mail sent to @oldcompany.nl

Regards, Arno Verkleij

Re: issue with google apps

It sounds like you have some internal MX records that still point to an internal mail server instead of looking externally.

Using nslookup to check would be the first step.
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=15917

And mxtoolbox.com to check external.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thx for the reply. Done that, it shows :

C:\Users\Arno>nslookup
      Standaardserver: svr-nt01.mycompany.lokaal
      Address: 172.17.45.2
      > set type=mx
      > mycompany.nl

Server: svr-nt01.mycompany.lokaal
      Address: 172.17.45.2
      Niet-bindend antwoord:
      mycompany.nl MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
      mycompany.nl MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
      mycompany.nl MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM
      mycompany.nl MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
      mycompany.nl MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
      mycompany.nl nameserver = ns3.bhosted.nl
      mycompany.nl nameserver = ns1.bhosted.nl
      ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM internet address = 173.194.70.27
      ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:4013:c00::1b
      ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:8005::1a
      ns1.bhosted.nl internet address = 94.124.120.52

Regards,

Arno Verkleij

Comment

Internal addresses are probably resolving as mycompany.lokaal - as they need to remain. Check if your users also have oldcompany.nl as part of their e-mail addresses in AD.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Steven,

Checked that, and as far as I can see I removed all e-mail addresses @mycompany.nl @ all users, but still it is not working. Maybe I forget something and has the server somewhere else mycompany.nl as mail domain ?

Comment

Have you re-run the CEICW (Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard)?
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Have you considered using Google Apps Sync instead of the IMAPI? It might alleviate the MX routing issue.

Comment

Working...
              X