Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP not working

Hi all and thanks for reading,

We have a couple of users using RDP function from Remote Web Workplace. We've been using this function for more than one year and everything worked great. Now when we try to access the remote machines we get the following error:

"To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has this right, or if the Remote Desktop Users group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually"

It doesn't matter what king of user is, I tried from administrator to standard users and all of them get the same error.

What has changed since it worked?. Well I'm not totally sure as we don't use it daily but I believe it can be two things: The latest Windows SBS2008 patches or the certificate renew (I recently renewed our certificate - from GoDaddy-).

None of the existing users can use this function anymore BUT if I create a new user (SBS wizard) and grant him remote access to any computer it works.

We don't get any certificate error... All users have the remote access to desktop box checked, and remote web workplace access.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot,

Jud

Re: RDP not working

Hi Dear

Please reset the Service Account password of RDP for the user which are not able to use RDP.

Comment

Thanks Kamal18sharma,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by service Account password of RDP, I understand every user have one unique password to log in the domain, RWW and RDP.

Best regards,

Jud

Comment

I presume he is suggesting resetting the user password, but IMHO this won't do any good.

How about removing an existing user from the remote desktop group and then re-adding them back?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          I presume he is suggesting resetting the user password, but IMHO this won't do any good.

How about removing an existing user from the remote desktop group and then re-adding them back?
          I think this solve best with the above issue I got the same issue way back and I just did this solution. Great Idea.

Comment

Thanks Ossian and habib1981,

It looks like everything is working again... I did the following:

First I double checked the SBS console, and everything were OK, remote access and permissions check boxes were granted but it didn't work.

I closed the SBS console and went to AD users to check if the RDP users were really assigned to the needed groups. All of them had the SBS RWW group assigned, and by default RDP is assigned automatically to all SBS RWW users (at least it worked few weeks ago, and I believe didn't change anything). OK I tried with one of the administrator users (they coudn't RDP either) and added the Remote Desktop User group to the user. After that action the user was able to log in to the server box and only to the server. I couldn't log in to any other computer... In the SBS console all admin users have remote access to all computers checked (and greyed out) by default...

I found that if I go to the client computer properties and I add the user (in this case the administrator account) in the section to specify who can connect, then it works...

Now I can do what I need but I don't understand what has happened and why all the changes I do in the SBS console are not applied.

Thanks for your help!

Jud
            Last edited by Jud Aster; 5th September 2012, 13:24.

Comment

Working...
            X