Cannot add new XP clients anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot add new XP clients anymore

I have a sbs2003 system that has been running fine for a long time. I have had to move the drives into a new case and did not do a reinstall(about a year ago). I have recently noticed I can no longer get to the connectcomputer web page from an xp system that is not part of the domain.
    I can manually join systems that have vista or 7. I have manually joined a xp system, but after reboot it will not logon because it cannot comincate with the domain controller.
    So I ping the server from a pc on the domain and it resolves the server correctly using the fqdn. I ping the server fqdn from an xp machine not in the domain and shows 2 public ip adresses. I have changed the network setup and created a new scope and forward lookup zone.
    I have set the main dns server on the xp machines to point to the sbs2003 box.

I have seen several postings similar to this and they all talk about fixing the forward lookup zone. I have a (A) record in the zone for the sbs box and it shows me the correct domain.

Any ideas on finding the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Re: Cannot add new XP clients anymore

hi edanono

I'd recommend running the Wizards and ensuring your network is all setup correctly.
    Moving the disks to a new physical case shouldn't have caused behaviour like this - something else went wrong somewhere I think.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Tony

Can you please explain, "I ping the server fqdn from an xp machine not in the domain and shows 2 public ip adresses. I have changed the network setup and created a new scope and forward lookup zone. "
      Does the server respond on the "internal IP address"? ( I am assuming here that you have an internal NIC and an external one - maybe incorrectly)
      Does the XP machine have only one NIC active when you try to //connect it?
      Does the XP machine have SP3 installed?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        hi edanono

I'd recommend running the Wizards and ensuring your network is all setup correctly.
        Moving the disks to a new physical case shouldn't have caused behaviour like this - something else went wrong somewhere I think.
        I have rerun the wizards and nothing has changed.

From teiger
        Can you please explain, "I ping the server fqdn from an xp machine not in the domain and shows 2 public ip adresses. I have changed the network setup and created a new scope and forward lookup zone. "

I meant nslookup run on an xp machine not part of the domain...
        domain.local = correct ip address of server
        server.domain.local = 2 external ip addresses(as in 66.95.xxx.xxx - not part of my internal network)

In dnsmgmnt, changed name servers in _msdcs.domain.local and domain.local ot reflect new ip address of DC. Also added reverse lookup zone for new subnet.

I apologize, my original post did not have the correct info. Could this all be fixed by routing all traffic THROUGH the server? XP machines that are part of the domain have no issues. New clients with w7 can be joined, but must be done so manually. Cannot use the connectcomputer web page.

Oh! I have worked with other domains that were not routed through the sbs box and was able to add xp clients. That's why I have not changed the setup in that way.

Thanks,
        Tony

Comment

Can you post the results of an IPCONFIG/ALL from
          a) the SBS server
          b) a working client
          c) a problem client
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X