Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing migration from SBS2003 to SBS 2011 std

Hello all

Hope you're all well. At my end I'm having a breakdown because I can't figure out on how to go about the migration from SBS 2003 Premium edt (w SQL) to SBS 2011 standard edt. I haven't dealt with SBS for a long time so I would need some step-by-step advice. Sure - I've taken a look at technet.microsoft.com/library/gg56380 but it is just to god damn long list. Please tell me there is another guide than that one.

It seem like you have to install the SBS2011 server in migration mode - no problem there except it makes me wonder if the installation will carry out the migration un-attended or does it just install the OS and make the server a member server ?

Hope someone can be merciful enough and spare a minutye trying to enlighten me regarding this matter.

Kind Regards

Kent

Re: Swing migration from SBS2003 to SBS 2011 std

Anything helpful?
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sbs...GaSV0QXcp4CoCA

(First link looks quite good - may be the one you mention but if you click on each step it gives the details for you

Alternatively splash out on Jeff's tools (www.sbsmigration.com) - the $$$ will be very well spent as you get tools, and support
    (direct link: http://www.sbsmigration.com/pages/se...S-6-/tech-kit/)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by keka4edge View Post
      Hello all

Hope you're all well. At my end I'm having a breakdown because I can't figure out on how to go about the migration from SBS 2003 Premium edt (w SQL) to SBS 2011 standard edt. I haven't dealt with SBS for a long time so I would need some step-by-step advice. Sure - I've taken a look at technet.microsoft.com/library/gg56380 but it is just to god damn long list. Please tell me there is another guide than that one.
      It's a long list because it's a lot of work, much of it connected to upgrading Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. Just plough through it - you don't have any choice - and make sure you have a good backup before you start. If you haven't worked with SBS for a long time, you may screw it up and you need a good point in time to go back to.
      You could also try the Swing Migration - it isn't any less work, but the big advantage is you leave your original server in production almost untouched and you don't have any need to go "back" to an original server if something goes wrong - just start over.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

In the Train Signal SBS 2011 Training Lab, there was mention of a Migration tool in SBS 2011. Steven, how does this tool stack up against Jeff's Swing Migration masterpiece?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The Swing migration kit mentioned (www.sbsmigration.com) isn't much less complex than Microsot's own migration documentation, but the advantage is a set of tools to automate some of the process and direct support from sbsmigration.com. I've used the kits several times successfully.

Comment

As I mentioned above, the other main advantage is that you leave your current production domain intact and can mess up the move offline as many times as you like until you get it right!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X