installing sbs 2011 PAO after sbs 2011 std up and running

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing sbs 2011 PAO after sbs 2011 std up and running

I have sbs 2011 up and running -- now I bought the sbs Premium add on
    I want to set up virtual server for RDP

The add on infers that I can add this feature after I am up and running.

Serveal posts on the internet seem to imply that it is necessary to start with the add on and set up windows 2008 std and then run the sbs as virtual on it

As stated I already have the sbs 2011 up and runnning, I now have turned on the hyper V which seems to turn on just fine. Can I set up the PAO windows 2008 r2 std as virtual under the sbs 2011.

If so how do I nstall it when I ran the setup on the download it seemed like it was gong to install windows 2008 and I sure did not want to install it over top of the sbs 2011.

Need some assurances here

Re: installing sbs 2011 PAO after sbs 2011 std up and running

NO! SBS cannot be a virtual host. Not only is it unsupported, some of teh services don't work. That is why you have seen several articles telling you to install the SBS as a VM on the Server 2008R2.
    You know have choices: buy a second physical machine, install Windows Server 2008 R2 on it, install Hyper-V, install second edition of Winserv 2008R2 as a VM in it along with SQL and RD Services. You could also skip the virtual machine altogether and install directly onto the server. Alternatively you could P2V your existing SBS, install the Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V, configure your SBS VM, and install the second server(SQL+RDS) VM all on the one machine.
    Before you install RDS, have you checked ou the Remote Web Access in SBS 2011?

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.