SBS 2011 Backup Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 Backup Options

I will be making a new server acquisition soon for a migration from sbs 2003 r2 to sbs 2011 and want to nail down the changes in backup procedure first. We currently use NTBACKUP to do a full system backup on the weekend to one external HDD and differentials throughout the week on a separate external HDD. The full system backup is kept off-site during the week. Is this flexibility possible with sbs 2011 or do I need to start looking into a 3rd party solution? I've got a book that I've been reading through but it does not touch upon any sort of disk rotation schemes...only a single dedicated backup disk. Also, are there any other caveats I should be aware of regarding the size of the external HDDs I use for backup, etc? I thought I read somewhere that the size of the backup drive has to cover the entire capacity of the server. If that's the case, I'll be needing some large single drives.

Re: SBS 2011 Backup Options

I assume this is a physical box...

I think the backup utility with SBS2011 is a huge improvement on ntbackup and does include a bare metal recovery from disk as well as the usual folder and files restore.
    Time permitting a full, nightly back-up to a Quantum RDX would be a good for having data off-site too.
    I think the cartridges go up to 1TB and far more reliable than the cheapy usb drives. I know the Dell RD1000 (similar system, different manufacturer) cartridges are (or were the last time i ordered some!) guaranteed for 10 years although i think Quantum is 2 or 3.
    Last edited by simonsays; 8th August 2012, 20:09.

Comment

It is a physical box...no vm involved. I am seeing some mixed information about the compatibility of sbs 2011 backup and RDX. Does anyone know if these enclosures work with 2011's backup options?

Comment

Originally posted by noRulez43 View Post
        It is a physical box...no vm involved. I am seeing some mixed information about the compatibility of sbs 2011 backup and RDX. Does anyone know if these enclosures work with 2011's backup options?
        SBS just wants a disk. RDX connects via USB and SBS maps a drive letter so you can back-up to it. What have you read that states this doesnt work?

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
          SBS just wants a disk. RDX connects via USB and SBS maps a drive letter so you can back-up to it. What have you read that states this doesnt work?

I found a bunch of forum posts and articles like this: http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=2754 but I don't know if they are referencing the same technology you are or not. I'm not familiar with these drives but am checking them out now. I would think you'd be right though.

Comment

why not consider looking at the IdealStor disks advertised at the top of the forum?

Also, SBS2011, as already mentioned, has a far superior online backup to NTBackup.
            It does use multiple disks - i have a client who has two removable usb2 disks.
            We added both of them to the store, and he swaps them on a daily basis.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I found a bunch of forum posts and articles like this: http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=2754 but I don't know if they are referencing the same technology you are or not. I'm not familiar with these drives but am checking them out now. I would think you'd be right though.
              ah, this article does suggest there are issues.
              Although i don't have access to the SBS setups that I used to and refer to here; I know there are plenty that use both Quantum RDX and Dell RD1000.
              Some setups wrote directly to cartridge and some wrote to NAS and then copied to cartridge for offsite purposes so thinking about it those must have been using the share workaround option.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                why not consider looking at the IdealStor disks advertised at the top of the forum?

Also, SBS2011, as already mentioned, has a far superior online backup to NTBackup.
                It does use multiple disks - i have a client who has two removable usb2 disks.
                We added both of them to the store, and he swaps them on a daily basis.
                Does he do a full system backup every night? That would be the optimum solution for me but I've never been ablet o perform my full system backups in sbs 2003 within a 24 hour period and we only have about 400GB of data on the system. If he doesn't do a full system backup every night, would he be able to recover data if something went wrong with one of the external drives or do you need both?

Comment

Will there be 400GB on the new setup?
                  How is that data made up?

Comment

Does he do a full system backup every night? That would be the optimum solution for me but I've never been ablet o perform my full system backups in sbs 2003 within a 24 hour period and we only have about 400GB of data on the system. If he doesn't do a full system backup every night, would he be able to recover data if something went wrong with one of the external drives or do you need both?
                    yep - it's a full every night
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                      Will there be 400GB on the new setup?
                      How is that data made up?

Yes, there will be the same amount of data on the new server not accounting for the change in the os size. We've got about 24GB for our os partition and 316GB in a partition with everything else including wsus, network shares, redirected folders, etc.

Comment

What options are available if there is too much data to back up overnight? Or, maybe my problem is that NTBackup is just really slow and sbs 2011 will be much faster?

Comment

Are you sure?
                          This suggests otherwise:
                          http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-8977da0cd0d0
                          (yes, extended link refers to SBS 2008 but other links suggest 2011 is first full plus additional incrementals at block level e.g. http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._27507821.html
                          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...35(WS.10).aspx)
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I could be wrong then

other options:
                            Backup Exec 2012.

Comment

Actually SBS does a full backup first time only and then incrementals every time. If you swap disks, it is clever enough to know what it has to backup from the last time the actual disk was attached.
                              It works much like Window Backup, but does not assign a drive letter and formats the drive the first time you attach it.
                              Tip: I backup the server about 4 or 5 times a day. Since it usees VSS technology, there is almost no performance decrease that the user notices, the backup takes around 5-10 mins each time and it means I have "previous version" of data not stored in shared folders etc.
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X