No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

Hi Guys,

Just throwing this one out there for some discussion. I appreciate you can have another server which can host some domain services you could also have this server as a file server. But what is the best physical method to offer complete redundancy in an SBS environment? Or if your at that stage of requirements do you migrate to a "proper" server setup moving the independant server OS's onto independant servers?

If anyone is interested just found this article about adding an additional DC into an SBS environ
    Last edited by 5habbaranks; 27th July 2012, 17:00.

Re: SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

To be honest, I'd say SBS isn't really the best environment for this type of high-availability scenario. That's not to say it can't be done.

You've got virtualisation based options (Hyper-V clustering or such like) or (we have set this up for a customer) you can use Double Take, who have a product called Full Server Failover. Basically you replicate the SBS box to another Windows server and in the event of a disaster you trigger failover and the target box reboots and becomes the SBS server.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

Will have a look at the double take option. I think the problem with the migration from an SBS environment to a split services setup would always be the cost. Im hoping its something we eventually move to here but its a massive outlay as its pretty much a start again scenario. New hardware, new OS's and then the costs for the seperate features such as exchange etc - and from my experience companys dont like investing in IT. If its a new car for the MD then thats a different question