Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

Hi Guys,

Just throwing this one out there for some discussion. I appreciate you can have another server which can host some domain services you could also have this server as a file server. But what is the best physical method to offer complete redundancy in an SBS environment? Or if your at that stage of requirements do you migrate to a "proper" server setup moving the independant server OS's onto independant servers?

Thanks

If anyone is interested just found this article about adding an additional DC into an SBS environ

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
    Last edited by 5habbaranks; 27th July 2012, 17:00.

Re: SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

To be honest, I'd say SBS isn't really the best environment for this type of high-availability scenario. That's not to say it can't be done.

You've got virtualisation based options (Hyper-V clustering or such like) or (we have set this up for a customer) you can use Double Take, who have a product called Full Server Failover. Basically you replicate the SBS box to another Windows server and in the event of a disaster you trigger failover and the target box reboots and becomes the SBS server.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: SBS 2008 Failover - whats the best method?

Will have a look at the double take option. I think the problem with the migration from an SBS environment to a split services setup would always be the cost. Im hoping its something we eventually move to here but its a massive outlay as its pretty much a start again scenario. New hardware, new OS's and then the costs for the seperate features such as exchange etc - and from my experience companys dont like investing in IT. If its a new car for the MD then thats a different question

Comment

Working...
      X