Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 VPN Issues

Hi All

I need some help with the way the vpn has been configured on our SBS 2003 Server.

The domain name is www.abcdomain.com and it has been configured via a single adsl modem. Until last week, I was able to access the server just by opening a remote desktop connection on any computer on the Internet and entering vpn.abcdomain.com. Suddenly this has stopped working. I am now unable to remote desktop into it.

I have checked the dns records, certificates, all the remote desktop settings on the server, firewall rules on the modem but cant seem to get it to work now. I am not sure what else to check on the server. Is this VPN or just remote desktop??? Please help me to correct this issue.

Thanks.

Re: SBS 2003 VPN Issues

Is your public IP static?
    Can you ping vpn.abcdomain.com and get back a valid IP? Is this the same one as the one you get when you use something like whatismyip.com from the server IE?

If you're just using the remote desktop client to log in then it is just remote desktop (if that's the case pleae make sure your server is fully up to date with all Windows patches as there have been a couple of high profile flaws in the RDP protocol very recently).

It's always worth a reboot if you know nothing has changed as well.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hii

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry i forgot to mention, yes the modem was assigned a Public Static IP and I have assigned it to the Server via the modem. Also nothing has really changed and have tried rebooting the server as well.

I do not get a response if i ping vpn.abcdomain.com whereas i used to before. There is also a dns record for vpn.abcdomain.com which i have verified with the dns hosting company.

I used to just open remote desktop from any computer and enter vpn.abcdomain.com and connect. That used to create a remote desktop session directly to the server. Now i am not sure what else to check?

Regards

Comment

Can you RDP to the server from a machine on the internal network successfully?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Yes. In the network there is only this server. But i connected another laptop and can rdp to it internally. Thanks

Comment

Bit odd then.
            RDP works ok internally so server is good.
            That really leaves firewall/routing I guess.
            The IP hasn't changed and is still available from what you show below.
            This leaves just the firewall side of things.
            I've not used SBS for a long time so there may well be a wizard for it?

Are there any logs deny messages in the event logs?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Yea..It is really wierd.....I have also checked for routing/firewall issues. Firewall has been disabled on the Server as well as the Router. There are rules configured on the modem to allow any ip/rdp/smtp traffic into the server. Not sure what else i could check. I have also spoken to the ISP and they advised no change has been done.
              Thanks.

Comment

firewall disabled? Was that after the issue? What happens if you re-enable it again?
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

I also am having the same issue using SBS 2003! All was OK until a few days ago.... looking into security updates or possible malware??? Any other ideas? I have a few disgruntled users here.

Comment

I assume both boxes are fully patched?
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X