sbs 2003 -> 2011 server specs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs 2003 -> 2011 server specs

I am beginning plans to upgrade from SBS 2003 R2 to SBS 2011 Standard and have started spec'ing a new server.
    We currently have about 35 users and SBS is acting as Exchange, DNS, AD, DHCP, and File server. The
    only issues we've ever had have been with the Engineering department experiencing slow saves and
    general slowness using their CAD program. I am guessing this is due to the disk infrastruce generating
    low IOPS. Below are specs of our current box and prospective new box. Do you think this is way overkill
    for our uses? I don't plan to virtualize the box (at least not up front) because I have no experience
    with virtualization and it would only really give us the added benefit of easier disaster recovery -
    although, that would be nice, I'd have to get a third party consultant in to help me with that. Also, I
    had to pick Raid 5 because of some 3.6TB limitation on Raid 10 so I am going to purchase with Raid 5
    configured, then convert to Raid 10 when I get the box. From what I've read, that should work fine.
    Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Current SBS 2003 R2 Box - PowerEdge 2900
    ================================================== =============
    2X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz
    8X 512MB DDR2 FB-DIMM-SYNCHRONOUS
    RAID 5
    PERC 5/i integrated(embedded)
    5X 150GB WDC WD1600JS-75NCB3 (I think these are Near-line SAS)
    2X Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE

Prospective SBS 2011 Box - PowerEdge R720
    ================================================== =============
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2640 2.50GHz, 15M Cache, 7.2GT/s QPI, Turbo, 6C, 95W, Max Mem 1333MHz
    32GB RDIMM, 1333 MHz, Low Volt, Quad Rank, x4
    RAID 1+RAID 5 for H710P/H710/H310 (2 + 3-14 HDDs)
    PERC H710 Integrated RAID Controller, 512MB NV Cache
    2X 300GB 10K RPM SAS 6Gbps 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive,3.5in HYB CARR
    4X 2TB 7.2K RPM Near-Line SAS 3.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive
    Broadcom 5720 QP 1Gb Network Daughter Card

Re: sbs 2003 -> 2011 server specs

I'd consider trying to get more network interfaces in there- CAD is notorious for being slow across a network
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      I'd consider trying to get more network interfaces in there- CAD is notorious for being slow across a network
      Not an option in SBS sadly, single NIC is the only (supported) configuration.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

May be good to find out if it is disk or network that is struggling.
        Using CAD on a desktop shouldn't be slow only saving/retrieving files I would expect? Do your users open the files over the network rather than locally?

Are you running 100Mbit or Gbit switches?

You're quite able to add additional member servers to SBS, why not get a decent file server as well if disk access is the issue?
        There are also plenty of cheap NAS style boxes with in built raid that could be used just for file access.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

We are currently on 100Mbit switches so that is likely the largest bottleneck as they do open their files on the network. They experience slow opens/saves but also experience slow rotation for some reason. You can see the network activity jump up during rotation for some odd reason. I don't know if it's a quirk with SolidWorks or what. I figure the RAID 5 setup wasn't helping much either. For the number of users I have and uses for the server, does the rest of the setup seem OK or overkill?

Comment

Is there no way for them to work on the files locally, even if it needs a process change? (maybe make the originals read-only and have users save using their initials)

Spec looks good for most things. I feel it is more the way you guys access the data rather than the server as such.

I don't know the software at all but are "assemblies" part of the drawing? Maybe they get loaded in part therefore explaining the slow rotate? (Just a guess!).
            http://help.solidworks.com/2012/Engl...e.htm?format=P
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              Not an option in SBS sadly, single NIC is the only (supported) configuration.
              according to this it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by mhoogev View Post
                according to this it should work.
                That's why I put supported in brackets. It may work, but MS will not support any configuration other than single NIC.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

What do you guys think about the hard drive configuration? We'll primarily be running exchange on this thing...no other LOB apps anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    That's why I put supported in brackets. It may work, but MS will not support any configuration other than single NIC.
                    Cruachan is correct that it is not supported, but the workaround implied in the forum link ( and I can't find the relevant blog just now) is to unteam, run the wizard (or other work) and then re-team. That is by unteaming, you get back to a supported configuration - it is only the teaming that is unsupported.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X