Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Backup

hi,
    I created an sbs 2008 scheduled backup on to a spare hard drive in the server. on 9th July. The first job took five hours and all jobs since then have been incremental, taking 30 minutes. On 16th July, the scheduled job ran as a full job rather than an incremental one, taking 5 hours.
    Why would this happen?

Re: SBS Backup

Is this an internal or external disk as the target? Did the job use the same target? Or did it get a drive letter?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

sorry for delay in reply. The target is an internal disk and both the incremental and full jobs use the same target. Every Saturday fro the last few weeks a full backup runs, rather than an incremental one.

Comment

It seems to me like something is telling the system, Hey Guys, this backup disk is a new target - every Saturday. Can you check th eEvent logs to see if something is disconnecting/reconnecting the disk - or formatting it in some way. What backups are available for restore from this disk?
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Apologies for delay in reply. nothing obvious in the event log relating to the disk or backup. I can restore all to the very first backup. the server backup console only shows the last 7 days backups.
          Wbadmin get versions shows all backups. the backup target fixed disk label is identical on both the incremental and the full.

Should I delete the schedule and recreate?

Comment

IIRC, every 14 days the system does a FULL backup and then a series of incremental ones on the days in between.

Comment

I don't believe that is correct. AFAIK, it only ever does one FULL backup per disk.
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                I don't believe that is correct. AFAIK, it only ever does one FULL backup per disk.
                Maybe my situation is different, but I have TWO portable disks in a rotation.

I'm certain that when I switch disks, the next backup is a full one. This takes several hours to complete, but normally it only takes about 40 minutes or so.

Have you come across this scenario before?

Kind Regards,
                Stephen

Comment

might a disk defrag cause this to happen, being a block level backup?

Comment

No.Think about it for a minute.
                    You have a disk that stores backups for say a week. It is then disconnected for a week. Then next time it is connected, it has an increment of a WEEK to backup instead of a day. Of course it takes longer. But it is still not a full backup, just a much bigger increment. It also means that a FULL restore can be done from ANY backup disk - you do not need ALL disks to complete.
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Hello,

I just checked the server console this morning and can confirm the backup was indeed logged as a FULL one - not just an large incremental one.

Regards,
                      Stephen

Comment

Working...
                      X