No announcement yet.

uninstall gupdate on SBS 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uninstall gupdate on SBS 2003

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. In my Monitoring Reports and Alerts, I have been getting "Google Update Service (gupdate)" saying that In normal conditions, these services should be running. For details..."

Then, I went to Services thinking that I could re-start the service gupdate manually but received a popup message saying "The Google Update Service (gupdate) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the performance Logs and Alerts service"

What does the above message mean? What should I do? Can I just un-install this google things from my SBS 2003 standard edition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Re: uninstall gupdate on SBS 2003

I'm going to guess it is something to do with google toolbar (TM) or google desktop (C), neither of which, IMHO, belong on a server of any sort. Start with IE addins and remove anything, then fight through the google items in add-remove programs

There are no native google products on an SBS

(only other thought is analytics, which might be "legitimate" but still dont belong on a server)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thank you Ossian for your reply.

Yes, it is google toolbar (from add/remove programs list). I have removed it from the server and I have also stopped the gupdate service and set it to manual rather than automatic in the Services.

Thank you very much

So what other gunge (apart from Google Toolbar) have you installed on the server that doesn't belong there?

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.