Windows Server Backup and USB Disks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server Backup and USB Disks

Hi Guys, this is my first post - a great set of forums.

Really need some help please.

I have an SBS 2011 Server and a Server 2008 with SQL on it (the SBS Premium Add On).

We use an IT company for support but to be honest they are not that great. I have a problem with my daily backups. The company use to just backup to NAS everyday (which overwrote the previous backup) and then once a week copy the files to usb to take off site.

I am trying to implement a daily full backup to usb disk using a number of disks.

I cannot find out how to add multiple usb disks to Windows Server Backup - I can only connect one disk at a time.

Look forward to any help and advice you can provide. Many thanks.

Re: Windows Server Backup and USB Disks

I have met this before and the only solution I found was scripted backups done as a weekly task, so Monday (to one disk), Tuesday (to the next) etc.

Basically Windows Server Backup tags the disk so if you do a daily scheduled backup it demands the same disk.

Rough procedure:
    Use a script for WBAdmin to choose what to backup (lots of examples: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b)
    Create a scheduled task for the script (weekly)
    Rinse and repeat for each day
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, that looks a bit over my head but I will take a look.

I found a link that was useful but I am not yet allowed to post URLs so cant share.

Comment

Not sure what you are trying to achieve but the built-in backup allows you to swap disks without caring too much about the details. UTFW in the console set up backup and add destinations (note:it will format your disks when it does this).
        First time a disk is attached it takes a long time as it is a full backup (and capacity needs to be as much as the disks you are backing up - not the size of the data). Thereafter, each backup takes a few minutes as it is an incremental. Add a new disk and again it will take a full backup and start incrementing. Now, if you swap back in the first disk, it will know what the increment is from the last time that disk was attached. So, if you like, the next backup is a differential, then followed by incrementals.
        I use and recommend that disks are swapped once a week. (Use 2.5"inch disks so that they don't need a power supply and are easier to transport off-site).
        HTH
        Last edited by teiger; 9th July 2012, 11:00. Reason: Typos
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

like teiger said.. one of my clients has two external 1TB disks, and he just swaps them on a daily basis.
          I just added both to the pool.. and it uses whichever is there
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Why daily? What is the benefit?
            Doing it so often just increases the risk that the connecter will break/wear out.
            It also means that the disks are never really off-site.
            My program is like this: (Remember we have a Sun-Thurs work week).
            Backup is run 4-5 times a day (incrememntal so they are quick) say 08:00, 11:00, 14:00; 17:00, 23:00
            On Sunday, Backup Disk 1 is removed at the end of the day and taken home by a trusted employee. It means that the 23:00 backup is missed, but that is usually no big deal. It also means that if disaster strikes on a Sunday evening, then we have to know that the diskkeeper is available to return the backup to site in an emergency. In a real DR situation we now have 2 disks off-site, though. Monday morning, Backup Disk 2 is brought to the office and connected to the server for the coming week.
            Note: at no point are all the disks and server in the same place. That is for effective DR. At worst we have lost a weeks work, but I am glad to say, that hasn't happened....yet!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

You should be able to just add the disks to the pool, label them up appropriately and the backup will use whichever drive is connected.

If you have an IT company this should be a 5 minute job for them - what's "not that great" about them??

Comment

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone here is watching and will know.

We are using WSBU with two USB HDD's on site for a customer but what happens if both HDD's are connected at the same time?

Will WSBU automatically swap between the disks or will it just back up to one of the disks and ignore the 2nd?

It's not too important as they have a 3 disk rotation on their PDC but the SDC (in name only, not really a DC) contains VM's so we have 2 large USB HDD's attached which are not really easy to get too so the client would have trouble swapping these ones over manually.

Comment

Working...
                X