Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dcom 10009

Hi,
    every 30 mins we get the event id 10009 on the sbs 2008 box for ALL pc's on the network. This just started 2 nights ago for no apparent reason.
    "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer xxx using any of the configured protocols."
    The security status for all pc's is showing as not available in the sbs console, although status is online.
    Can anyone advise please?

Re: Dcom 10009

Usually when I see that it's DNS (quelle surprise). SBS doesn't turn on aging and scavenging by default, and even when it is on it doesn't work all that well.

Make sure what's in DHCP and what's in DNS matches up and it should clear most of them.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I am adding to Cruachan's reputation points for that answer. It is so simple when you know how, and so annoying when you can't find any documentation on it.
      DNS, DNS & DNS!
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

hi,

I can't see any issues with dns or dhcp - no errors in the event logs.

I thought it might be the Symantec software on each pc but I uninstalled it form one and the dcom error persisted with this pc.

it must be related to the sbs console showing not available for the security status.

Can you assist further?
        Attached Files

Comment

You won't see "issues" as such. DNS in SBS doesn't (by default) scavenge stale resource records, so what is in DNS may not be accurate.

Go through your active DHCP leases, and make sure that the forward lookup zone for your domain in DNS has ONLY the IP address listed in DHCP as a Host (A) record for that machine. Once you've done this do an ipconfig /flushdns on the server and refresh the console.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Active dhcp leases are all valid addresses of pc's with no duplication.
            the dns forward lookup zone has one 192.168.1.5 ip address of the server.
            The server nic properties has the router ip as gateway.

PID 988 c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss is referenced in the event id 10009. Can anyone assist on how I can proceed to fix this?

A restart of the server has stopped the event ID from occuring.
            Last edited by Josh 2009; 17th July 2012, 06:55. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
            X