Join a SBS 2008 Domain over the internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join a SBS 2008 Domain over the internet

Here's the scenario we have 5 PC's connected to a SBS 2008 server, we want to take one of those PC's and move it to a new office and rejoin the PC to the domain over the internet. Is this possible? Thanks.

Leon

Re: Join a SBS 2008 Domain over the internet

You can only do it if there is a point to point VPN between the locations. A VPN client won't suffice since the computer needs to contact the DC for authentication which happens before the VPN client is started.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You could try an offline domain join (assuming Windows 7)
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

Note this does support DCs earlier than 2008R2

You will still need a VPN at some stage to get group policies etc.

But if the computers are already domain members, why do you need to disjoin and rejoin them?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        You could try an offline domain join (assuming Windows 7)
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
        I keep on forgetting about that.

BTW - I should say that there is a kludge way of joining the domain when all you have is a client VPN.
        - Log on with a local user on the desktop
        - Connect the client VPN
        - Join the domain and reboot
        - Log on again with the local user
        - Connect the client VPN
        - Switch Users (instead of logoff)
        - Log on with domain user

I've done this to update a users password when their has expired but I've never fully joined a domain like this. So I would test it first.... or you can use the link Tom provided which wouldn't be a hack.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Note that you cannot join the domain in the "proper" way for an SBS network (I.e. using the connect computer website) over a VPN.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for your replies, the reason we want to take just one PC from the domain and try to rejoin at a different location, is the software that was setup on it connects to the first PC with sql for the database, so the first PC on the domain is setup as the server for the software and the other 4 have to connect to it for them to work if that makes sense. So rather than spend a mini fortune on them setting it up we thought we could just move one of the PC's to the new location and attempt to rejoin the domain. So we if we created a VPN connection to the SBS server we should be able to rejoin the domain. Thanks for your help guys.

Leon

Comment

@cruachan
              I seem to remember that there is a way to join the "proper" way by widening the DHCP scopes or some such. I'll try to look it up/Google it and post back.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hope there is teiger, but I tried it recently and got an error message telling me that I had to be on the local subnet for the website to work.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I haven't tried this in the SBS 2008 and north era (I did successfully add clients to SBS 2003 over a VPN) but as usual, the answer appears to be DNS! See this thread:
                  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-6b59af28a046
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I appreciate this was a while ago but if any help I have an article explaining how to join a domain using a VPN (site-to-site or VPN client). If the PC is already a member of the domain and you are wanting to rejoin, it may be easier as the ability to connect to the domain via VPN prior to logon should already be present (as explained in the article), however if the trust is broken you may not have that advantage.
                    "blog.lan-tech.ca/2012/07/25/how-to-join-a-windows-domain-using-a-vpn/"

Comment

Working...
                    X