SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 domain inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 domain inheritance

Okay so I just inherited a network at my new job that I know needs some work.

Basicaly I have 3 servers about 50 users local network as well as wan via VPN with wireless, wired and about 120 gb of data and email combined

running in Active directory native mode

First system is a Domain server with SBS 2003, exchange 2003, Veritas backup, SQL. fax service and IIS. Has 230 gb Raid 5 with quad p4 and 1gb ram

Second system is a Terminal server with Windows 2000 terminal server, and camera capture software, for remote camera security. dual p3 1gb ram raid 1 250gb drive

Third system is a Domain server running windows server 2003, runs as a SUS server and viewpoint for firewall logging. raid 5 140 gb and raid 1 30 gb 1gb ram with dual xeon 2.0

So my primary server (the sbs 2003) is also my intranet and owa access system,
    it also acts as my file server. I have on my third server 140 gb of space I do not use. Here is my plan.

Install external firewire HD backup system on primary server of 7 250 gb drives

Backup and then update Primary to sbs sp2, exchange sp2 and back it up again

Migrate exchange off Primary server to third server. Use third server as exchange system.

Create new security system for groups and users, consolidate file sharing to new group policies and security settings, also set appropriate security for users across whole environment.

Now all that aside, here is the thing, I have worked with AD and the like but not on this scope. I have my ass on the line here and I do NOT want to screw up, I know BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, but I would like some suggestions as to what would be the best way to initiate this clean up and migration as well as any suggestions you may have regarding topological layout and the like. I have full access to any software I want and time is on my side, so I would like to take this slow and easy.

One thought I had was to create a new forest on third machine and redesign the AD system and everything there, back it up and restore to primary, would that work? If not would I be able to create forest and all therein and then promote 3rd to DC demote primary, change it to the exchange server and go from there?

Anyways, look forward to your input.

Thanks

Re: SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 domain inheritance

The SBS license is an all-in-one solution. You are not allowed to move the exchange server off the SBS without buying a new Exchange server license. The good news is, that when R2 is released in 2006, you will not need to buy new exchange CALS, though. The Exchange server will be covered by the existing SBS CALS. (Same goes for SQL BTW in Premium edition)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 domain inheritance

Oh and another thing - SBS is a single forest, single domain solution. Sounds like you have been working in the Enterprise space too long. You really ought to get to know SBS
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X