No announcement yet.

Keeping SBS2003 Server as member server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping SBS2003 Server as member server

I will be doing a SBS2003 -> SBS2011 migration soon, and my client has just informed me there is a database on their SBS2003 server that they want to keep on there (and operational).

I was just going to trash the SBS2003 server after the migration.

So, am I right in saying that after Exchange has been uninstalled, roles transferred and DCPROMO ran to demote it, it then becomes a licensed Windows Server 2003 Std box which I can leave running on the new SBS2011 domain?

BTW this database cannot be migrated as it is maintained by a 3rd party company and they charge extortionate rates to do things like this...

Re: Keeping SBS2003 Server as member server

I am pretty sure that would not work as the 2003 will still think it is a SBS and, not being a DC, go into sulk mode and reboot every hour.
    However, see one of the posts further down here which suggests there is a way:

I think this is one for Microsoft Product Support Services (also charge extortionate rates, unfortunately)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Ah bugger it.

I see there are 2 main workarounds here.

1. Have the 2 SBS Servers on the same network but serving different domains.
      2. There is a link to the "unsupported" workaround in that thread.

Problem is, how would I implement number 1?

Just change the SBS2003 domain name afterwards?

1 and 2 are not worth the bother compared to buying and installing the database on a "new" server.
        Buy the premium add-on - that gives you a Windows 2008R2 server, an SQL server and 5 Premium (read SQL) CALS.
        Anything else will cost you more in the long run.
        If you do the MS migration, then, if the old server is called SERVER, call the new server SERVER1. At the end of the migration, decommision the old server and install the new server as SERVER. Then you can perhaps just detach and reattach the database(s) for the 3rd party without needing their help.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I'm afraid its not that straight forward.

The full setup consists of:

1 x SBS 2003 Std Server - old and slow
          1 x Server 2008 Server, oldish but still useable. Just a member server for File/print.

They are replacing with 2 brand new servers, with SBS 2011 Std for 1 server and SBS 2011 Premium Addon onto the other new server.

The SBS Premium is for Sage 200 on SQL, whereas the current database program is using something called FireBird I think. We wouldnt be able to move this ourselves as we have zero knowledge on how it is installed, and no files/media to reinstall from. From what I have been told it also have a boat load of customizations.

Both old servers were going to be decommissioned.

Turns out it is not an issue after all!

The client told me they need to keep it on the old server - I read that as they need it working and accessible.

However they actually meant it needs only to stay there only for accounting auditing purposes until its been fully depreciated on the books, then they can chuck the whole server.

Problem solved!