No announcement yet.

The story of the Dot

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The story of the Dot

I just thought I'd share this with you for interest's sake.
    I was running a migration from 2003 to 2011. ( was using Swing Method but that is irrelevant to the story) This is a client for whom I installed SBS 4.0 in 1998 and I named the organisation "Company Ltd.". The server has been migrated from SBS 4.0 to 4.5 to 2000 and then to 2003 - all with no major hassles - and has even been transferred successfully to a VM in hyper-V about 2 years ago.
    So I had prepared my answer file and was ready for the migration installation to run. It ran for the statutory 1 hr and 45mins and came back with a fail - no Exchange installed. I have had that happen to me before and so re-ran the answerfile preparation and installed again - same failure. So I started checking the log files, to see what could be the possible cause. Lo and behold! It tells me that the Exchange organisation has an illegal character - and, in amongst a long string of illegal characters, lurks the little "." - the dot which has seen me through the last 14 years without a hitch, has suddenly risen up to bite me in the virtual posterior.
    So after a consultation with the support people at Swing, we came to the conclusion that we have to create a new domain/Exchange organisation. For that we can either start from scratch or use ADMT. I chose the ADMT route for the experience, but I can honestly say there is absolutely no advantage to that method over starting from scratch. In total, it saved me from creating the usernames from scratch and c'est tout!
    Just thought you might like to know.....

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: The story of the Dot

Drove you a little dotty did it? Don't you just love MS.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015