Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011 repair Install without a good backup

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way to repair the SBS2011 STD installation without a good (valid) backup? My Windows Server Backup feature is not working and I don't have a good backup (long story). The System has been modified so many times and in many places in attempt to repair the issues. I want to be able to do a repair install if possible. Pls help!

I found this http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?p=615 but it requires a good backup.

P.S. We're not using SharePoint, WSUS or Exchange server at this point. I'm only using it as PDC, DNS, WINS and DHCP.
    Last edited by shades; 25th May 2012, 15:22.

Re: SBS2011 repair Install without a good backup

If you are running Raid 1, buy an extra harddrive and replicate to that drive.

Sometimes it's better to start all over then to repair.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately, it would be more work for me to reinstall from scratch because of all the documentation on our Wiki and File Server pertaining to this server. It would be easy to change the info on the wiki but it would take me a week to go through our documentation on the File Server and change the server name everywhere. This is also our only File Server which contains all the shares (affect production).

I'm really upset about Server 2008's (and above OS) backup utility being very flimsy and how everything is now run on PowerShell and IIS. This all started due to a Microsoft update, which affected SharePoint, Windows backup and the PowerShell. I was able to repair SharePoint (psconfig update) and the PowerShell (IIS restore) but not the Windows Server Backup. I've tried everything under the sun!

Comment

Does the SBS Backup in the console no longer work? I have seen/heard of problems if the first backup disk is not available - but then these are usually cured by re-attaching the first disk.
        You could also try the virtual route.That is use P2V to create the computer as a virtual machine. Then you have to back up the virtual disk (on Hyper-V=.vhd) on the host/parent every time.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

i'v had my share of problems with backups too, i have made a topic a few months back that i think is very good.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=54750

I find the backup very good, you should delete the catalog and start a fresh backup. Works very good.

Comment

jantje.vlaam you're awesome!!! It worked! Thank you so much!

1> Use “Wbadmin delete catalog” to clean up the catalog. This will delete the backup catalog.
            2> Create a partition on the disk. Asssign a drive letter to that volume.
            3> From admin prompt start the backup usiong the command "Wbadmin start backup" with parameters required. http://technet.microsoft.com/hu-hu/library/cc742083(d=lightweight,v=WS.10).aspx
            4> See if the backup succeeds.

Successful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shades View Post
              jantje.vlaam you're awesome!!! It worked! Thank you so much!

Successful!!!
              Thanks for your kind words, i'v been named noumerous things, awesome is not in the top 10

I'm glad it worked, good luck with the repair!

Comment

Working...
              X