SBS 2003 to SBS2011 Migration Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 to SBS2011 Migration Advice

I have a new server which I am going to be running SBS 2011 and currently running sbs 2003. I looked through the migration but think I prefer starting over with fresh install. Don't want to drag over any bad habits from old server(ie. loosened permissions or anything else like that). It is a small shop so not to concerned about having to recreate shares. I am most concerned about getting email transfered over. Can I just archive all emails, in each account(into pst file) then import them to the new accounts?

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS2011 Migration Advice

Yes. Don't forget about public folders, which are a bit more difficult
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS2011 Migration Advice

Bear in mind the increased effort on the client side before you make a decision. Each PC will need disjoined from the old domain and then joined to the new one. Then you've got email profiles, printers, mapped drives etc to setup and possibly also migrate items from old user profiles.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
      X