Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail Flow issues SBS 2011

Hi,

I am currently experiencing a problem on my server where mail is being received but is never delivered to the mailbox and cannot be found on the server!

After a restart is performed mail is routed to user mailboxes correctly, but the emails sent to users in my organisation during the fault are lost permanently. Sending servers are not trying to resend mail, so it appears the server accepts the mail but does not route to mailboxes.
    During a failure sent messages leave outbox, but do not show in sent items, instead when you log into OWA they are sitting in drafts. This happens weather sending from outlook on PC or mac or from mobile devices. These draft items do not sync or show with outlook or any outlook device; they can only be seen in OWA. These draft items cannot be cleared or deleted form OWA instead they must be sent when exchange is back online after full server restart.

Excluding any default debugging and logging we have not enabled any debugging and logging for exchange. It has been getting progressively worse, it does not appear to be triggered by an event, instead it fails at any time of the day sometimes even within hour of a full system restart. Also when running an Exchange BPA and perform a scan of active directory the old server appears. However I cannot find any references in ADSI edit. I performed a global check on using Active directory Administrative Center and the previous server comes up but cannot be removed.

It has been getting progressively worse, it does not appear to be triggered by an event, instead it fails at any time of the day sometimes even within hour of a full system restart.

I found events like:

Source: MSExchangeTransport
    Category: Routing
    Event ID: 5020
    User (If Applicable): N/A
    Computer: sbs2k11-server.domain.local
    Event Description: The topology doesn't contain a route to Exchange 2000 Server or Exchange Server 2003 sbs2k3-server.domain.local in Routing Group CN=first routing group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=first administrative group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=domain,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC =local in routing tables with the timestamp 15/05/2012 5:12:01 AM.
    Event Log Name: Application
    Event Log Type: warning
    Event Log Date Time: 2012-05-15 15:12:02

and

Event Log Module Status: 0

The Last Record Number of the eventlog type that current event entry belongs to: 0
    # of duplicate events: 2
    Source: MSExchange ActiveSync
    Category: Configuration
    Event ID: 1033
    User (If Applicable): N/A
    Event Description: The setting ExternalProxy in the Web.Config file was not valid. The previous value was null and has been changed to .
    Event Log Name: Application
    Event Log Type: warning
    Event Log Date Time: 2012-05-15 15:09:13

and

Log Name: Application
    Source: MSExchange Extensibility
    Date: 15/05/2012 1:47:30 PM
    Event ID: 1050
    Task Category: MExRuntime
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The execution time of agent 'GfiAvRoutingAgent' exceeded 90000 milliseconds while handling event 'OnSubmittedMessage' for message with InternetMessageId: 'Not Available'. This is an unusual amount of time for an agent to process a single event. However, Transport will continue processing this message.

Background

Initially 2003 2011 migration, took place in June 2011 off documentation which has now been superseded by Microsoft, generally speaking the migration went ok. Afterward we identified the issue with the BPA and in the last 4 months this issue is happening more and more until an average of 4 times per week.

We recently purchased new hardware and performed a bare metal recovery to the new hardware successfully.

The SBS 2011 server is running AD, DNS, DHCP, FTP, Exchange, Anti-spam (GFi) and backup.

Please note the old server is decommissioned can cannot be retrieved!

Look forward to reading your comments!

Re: Mail Flow issues SBS 2011

What issue did you identify with the BPA?

It might have some something to do with the GFI software. Have you contacted GFI for support? Is the version you're running compatible with SBS 2011?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

I have contacted GFi and they have recommended an upgrade as it looks to be a bug with there software. I will perform the upgrade and update you on any progress!

Comment

Excellent. Let us know what you find.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

I think it is now safe to say after installing the latest version of Mail Essentials the problem is solved. GFi Mail security was keeping the emails and was not routing them to exchange, however in the latest version of mail essentials it has mail security integrated, which fixes the mail flow issues there product was causing.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for posting back and letting us know!
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X