Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS2003 Exchange Priv1.EDB growing in size way beyond the combined size of the mboxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 Exchange Priv1.EDB growing in size way beyond the combined size of the mboxes

Hi.
    I have an SBS2003 server with a priv1.mdb that has suddenly started growing in size.
    The default size limit of 18GB was reached about a week ago.
    I ran the MS FixIt utility (KB912375) to increase the database size limit to 75GB.
    With hindsight that was a mistake and I should have investigated the size of the mailboxes before doing that.
    This is not a heavily used server and the combined total of the mailboxes is only around 1GB.
    In the past week the size of the store has been growing steadily and is now 49GB.
    I tried an offline defrag with output to temporary files and the resulting store file was just as big.
    I can ExMerge the mailboxes out without problem.
    NTBackup works and clears the log files.
    I'm not sure if that is relevant to this problem, but at one time during this the server C: drive ran out of space.
    I have various older backups and have thought about restoring an older version of the store and importing the ExMerge PSTs. That's not an approach that appeals as it doesn't identify the root of the problem.
    The Exchange version is 6.5 (Build 7638.2: Service Pack2).
    The server has McAfee Enterprise ver 8.7 installed. It does not have Groupshield installed.
    Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what I should be checking?
    Thank you.

Re: SBS2003 Exchange Priv1.EDB growing in size way beyond the combined size of the mb

Find which mailbox(es) is causing the problem
    Get control and open the mailbox
    Look into folders...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X