Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2011 standard edition email archiving?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 standard edition email archiving?

Does anybody know If I have SBS 2011 standard edition and would like to enable online email archiving within Exchange 2010 do I need any additional licensing?

I am most of the way through a migration SBS 2003 standard to SBS 2011 standard. I am planning to move mailboxes this weekend and the rest of the tasks should go quickly after that.

I have not moved the mailboxes yet so they are still "legacy".

I was allowed to create a new Archive database within exchange but when I go to the properties of a mailbox I am not allowed to enable archiving (it is grayed out).

I would prefer that it is only because I haven't moved the mailboxes yet. If I have to purchase an additional license I can do that but I can't figure it out google searching if I need a license or how much it costs.

Re: SBS 2011 standard edition email archiving?

The licensing FAQ states you need an enterprise CAL license for the archiving features. Beyond that info is severely lacking.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

You certainly can enable archives -- as said you need the Enterprise CAL which adds on to the standard one

What SP is Exchange at -- big changes in archiving from RC to SP1
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am at verson 2010 SP1.

Comment

How are you enabling archiving? -- you should right click on the recipient in EMC and select "enable archive" If you go into properties--mailbox features you can disable an existing archive but not (paradoxically) enable it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have made progress on this issue.

I was creating a new user in SBS 2011 (still partially migrated) and found that the wizard failed to create the users mailbox. Error message says my username does not have exchange admin rights.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...8-console.aspx

I followed the article and set the primary group for my admin account to domain user (cause that makes sense???). I deleted the user and recreated it everything went through no errors.

I opened up exchange management and right clicked the new user and was able to create the archive mailbox within the archive database I had already created.

I right clicked on other users that are listed as "legacy mailbox" no enable archive available. Looks like when I have my scheduled outage this weekend and finish the migration process I should be good to go to start deploying email archiving.

Comment

Working...
            X