SBS 2003 exchange will not start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 exchange will not start

Hello everyone, this is my first post and guess what, Iíve got problems.

OK, I am fast losing both my hair and patience with my SBS 2003 Premium server with Service Pack2. Due to hardware problems I have had to move the server to a new machine. All seemed to go well, but now I cannot get Exchange (Version 6.5, Build 6944.4) to start and the latest update to SQL server keeps failing (Security update for SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 KB960082).
    Iíve checked around the forum, but cannot find a solution to the problem.

In Event Viewer, the errors I get are:

Event
    Source: MSExchangeIS
    Category: General
    Type: Error Event ID: 1121
    User: N/A
    Description:
    Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Active Directory.
    For more information, click microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Event
    source: MSExchangeIS
    Category: General
    Type: Error Event ID: 5000
    User: N/A
    Description:
    Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. - Error 0x8004010f
    For more information, click microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp

source: MSExchangeSA
    Category: Monitoring
    Type: Error Event ID: 9098
    User: N/A I
    Description:
    The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to read its configuration from the DS. Error 0xc004038a
    For more information, click microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp

I have tried a number of different actions to resolve the problem, including:
    technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266900%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx
    technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb885057.aspx
    support.microsoft.com/kb/305392 (not that I had a second server),
    but none seems to work

I have installed SBS SP1 (although it has subsequently disappeared from installed programs) and SP2.

There are only a small number of users, so I have set up users manually (not imported the AD) and will be happy if I can get Exchange working with empty mailboxes.

In the case of SQL server, I have run Microsoft update, but the security update fails each time. I have tried downloading the update but this also fails.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Allan

Re: SBS 2003 exchange will not start

how did you move it ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Tehcamel

I installed the SBS software and all other applications on the new machine then restored the data from the last backup I had made.

Allan

Comment

So it is a new SBS domain? (maybe the same name as the old one, but not the same)

IIRC you need to do a disaster recovery, not just mount the old dB

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclie...w=1409&bih=997
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

From memory to do what you have done the Domain Name, Exchange Organisation Name and Servername all have to be identical to the original domain, and then you should be able to restore and mount the Exchange DB and see all the original mailboxes as disconnected. That's (IMO) a last resort scenario though, and if you have a full backup including System State of the original server I'd restore everything including AD.

The only time I've done it the other way we had just taken over a customer when the server died, and found that they were doing data-only backups and had none of the OS or the System State.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Go into ESM and drill down to;
            Servers
            First Storage Group
            Mailboxes, right click
            Properties
            Check that the circled option is NOT checked (ticked).
            Have had this before when restoring an Exchange database.

Click image for larger version

Name:	exchange-database-mount.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	466509
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Do you get an error message in the event log when you try to mount the store - other than the one you originally posted?
              If the names do not match, then you may have to update them with LegacyDN.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I seem to be making things worse - no surprise there!!

I have tried to run Disaster Recovery on Exchange, but now get an error during the install "Setup failed while installing sub-component Information Store Service with error code 0x8007230" and a dialog box showing Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services as not installed (a red circle with X)

Extract from the Exchange Server Setup Progress.log:
                [05:45:20] Beginning Disaster Recovery of Information Store Service sub-component
                [05:45:20] Entering CAtomMDB::ScForklift
                [05:45:20] Entering CAtomMDB::ScTakeAllStoresOffline
                [05:45:20] CAtomMDB::ScTakeAllStoresOffline (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\exsetdata\components\s erver\a_mdb.cxx:3097)
                Error code 0X80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server.
                [05:45:20] CAtomMDB::ScForklift (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\exsetdata\components\s erver\a_mdb.cxx:259)
                [05:45:20] mode = 'Disaster Recovery' (61959) CBaseAtom::ScSetup (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\setupbase\basecomp\bas eatom.cxx:842)
                [05:47:26] >>>>>>>>>> Setup encountered a fatal error during Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services of Disaster Recovery component task. -- ID:62237 -- CBaseComponent::ScSetup (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\setupbase\basecomp\bas ecomp.cxx:1401)
                [05:47:26] Entering ScQueueWatsonErrorReport
                [05:47:27] Leaving ScQueueWatsonErrorReport
                [05:47:27] Entering CBaseComponent::SetSubtreeComponentsToFailWithErro rInSetup
                [05:47:27] Leaving CBaseComponent::SetSubtreeComponentsToFailWithErro rInSetup
                [05:47:27] CBaseComponent::ScSetup (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\setupbase\basecomp\bas ecomp.cxx:1487)
                [05:47:27] Leaving CBaseComponent::ScSetup
                [05:47:27] CCompServer::ScSetup (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\exsetdata\components\s erver\compserver.cxx:1504)
                [05:47:27] Entering CCompServer::ScCleanupFailedInstall
                [05:47:27] Leaving CCompServer::ScCleanupFailedInstall
                [05:47:27] Leaving CCompServer::ScSetup
                [05:47:27] CComExchSetupComponent::Install (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\bo\comboifaces.cxx:829 )

Unfortunately I cannot make sense of the log, could anyone point me in a direction?

Although Exchange has partially installed there is now no Mailbox Store on the server (to mount or dismount), just Queues and Protocols.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                X