No announcement yet.

SBS Server migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Server migration

Hi all,

Something someone might be able to clear up top of their heads...

Server standard migration you need to transfer the global catalog and roles etc, decommission the server and then rebuild and transfer the roles across again and so forth.

SBS Server when you rebuild the server all the computers can log straight back onto the domain without re-joining or authenticating again (providing the domain name has been kept the same).

Why is this for SBS? Just an interesting thing i came across with working and rebuilding different server environments.

Re: SBS Server migration

I am surprised -- every time I have done an SBS domain rebuild (normally after client ignored warnings about backup etc) I have had to join workstations to the new domain, either manually or using the wizard. Do you have any references to the behaviour you mention?

SBS is "just" active directory with some friendly front end wizards, so surprising it works in a different way to standard AD
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: SBS Server migration

I don't understand what is being said in this thread!

If you do a migration, then you are keeping the the same AD. Therefore, the workstations are kept as part of the domain migration. That is THE major benefit of a migration - domain membership and user profiles are retained.
      The ADDED benefit of Swing Migration is that you keep teh same AD, domain name and SERVER name, so all your shares, printers and collaboration links stay the same. More work on the server but much much less on the workstation.
      If you start over, you have to rebuild everything - servers and workstations. This is only required if AD is beyond repair or fixing it would take even more time than a rebuild.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.