Help with TS and SBS 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with TS and SBS 2011

I hope someone can help with my problem.

This week I replaced our ageing 2003 SBS server with a new SBS 2011.

I now have an issue with our 2003 Standard Server Terminal Server. Every user that attempts to connect to the TS get the same Roaming Profile problem including the new administrator user. We also have a SQL server and I can login to it with the same admin user account without profile errors.

The error I receive is Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile.

The domain administrator account is a new name on the SBS 2011, however I joined both our current SQL server (2003 Standard 64bit) and the Terminal Server to the domain using the new admin account. Looking in the 'Documents and Settings folders on the Terminal, I can see all the users folders however any user connecting get a 'Temp' folder. I have checked that the user has full permissions over each folder. I didn't migrate the old server to the new, I set it up from scratch, created all the users fresh and tried to connect them to the terminal when I installed it onsite.
    For the record, I installed 2 networks this week both the same with new SBS 2011 servers and both have Terminal Servers. THe other network had no issue with the profiles.

Why is the terminal Server giving me this user profile error? I would really appreciate some help.

Re: Help with TS and SBS 2011

A sreenshot of the profile issue

Last edited by Karl Pac; 10th April 2012, 11:41.

Comment

I had a similar problem last year. Customer had SBS 2003 with roaming profiles. They also had a separate Server 2003 terminal server. I replaced the SBS 2003 server with SBS 2008 using roaming profiles and folder redirection. None of the terminal server users could pull a server profile and a temporary profile was created each time. I pulled my hair out over this one and discovered the solution was to delete the roaming profile on the server for each user and stick with folder redirection only. I done't know if this helps with your plight. I will be replacing the terminal server with a Server 2008 R2 terminal server soon.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

So you deleted the profiles from the Terminal Server. The profiles in C:\Documents and Settings\ USERRNAME ?
        Sorry to sound stupid, just wanted to be clear.

Originally posted by RobW View Post
        I had a similar problem last year. Customer had SBS 2003 with roaming profiles. They also had a separate Server 2003 terminal server. I replaced the SBS 2003 server with SBS 2008 using roaming profiles and folder redirection. None of the terminal server users could pull a server profile and a temporary profile was created each time. I pulled my hair out over this one and discovered the solution was to delete the roaming profile on the server for each user and stick with folder redirection only. I done't know if this helps with your plight. I will be replacing the terminal server with a Server 2008 R2 terminal server soon.

Comment

Not quite. I had the roamng profile location defined in ADUC, user's profile properties. I removed the location information all together. Then I deleted all the actual profile information on the terminal server in c:\documents and settings.

When the user logged onto the termnal server for the first time, they pulled a domain profile from the SBS server.

Rob

Comment

Maybe I am missing something, but why wouldn't this happen (meaning I wouldn't expect it to get the same profile). When you start the AD again (ie do NOT migrate the old server), then the user SID is different so that the profiles will not match. Did you expect otherwise?
            Last edited by teiger; 7th April 2012, 23:38. Reason: Typos
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Teiger, I am not sure who your question was directed to but in my case, all the domain users also used the terminal server. At the customer's location where the servers were located, they had users with their own computers and they had field support workers that used shared computers in a computer pool. Many of the ouside support workers used the terminal server and the office staff would also use the terminal server in the evening.

The customer wanted the look and feel of their desktop, whether they were office workers or remote workers, to follow them. We had a mixture of XP and Windows 7 computers so their was a conflict with the two different profile types. I discovered that folder redirection basically replaced what roaming profiles did. As long as I had roaming profiles, the terminal server would create temporary profiles which caused a lot of problems with the users. As soon as I removed the roaming profiles everything works properly. The network has worked fine for the past year but I am replacing the terminal server soon. The SBS 2008 server is a Hyper-V VM and the remote application server will also run in a VM.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, but no luck so far.

teiger I am not expecting to use the old profiles, simply connect to the TS without the Profile issue. I didn't migrate the old server to new, so I don't understand where t he TS is looking for a roaming profile.

I have checked ADUC on the SBS 2011 and there is no profile path. Checked in the Computer Management \ Users for any mention of a profile there and none. Yet still it errors about the user profile.

Comment

If you are getting the message "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile", then a roaming profile must be defined somewhere in the ADUC properties. Look under the profile tab, user profile, profile path. If there is no profile defined there then look under the 'remote desktop services profile' tab, profile path.

What I think might be happening is with folder redirection turned on, the profile path is moved to the redirected folders and the terminal server can no longer find it where it is expecting the profile. Your problem sounds identical to the problem I had and as soon as you can find where the roaming profile path is located and remove it, the sooner I am sure this will correct the problem.

Delete the ntuser.dat information from the profile on the TS if it is still there.

Comment

Yes this is the error I am getting exactly.

There is nowhere I can find a defined Profile Path on either the new SBS 2011 or the Terminal Server. SBS 2011 does not have a Remote Desktop Users group and the TS does not have Active Directory installed.
                    Could it be that the TS would need relicensing ? I have reactivated it however my licenses are not showing, but the server shows Unlimited Licenses. Not sure is this would effest things.

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                    If you are getting the message "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile", then a roaming profile must be defined somewhere in the ADUC properties. Look under the profile tab, user profile, profile path. If there is no profile defined there then look under the 'remote desktop services profile' tab, profile path.

What I think might be happening is with folder redirection turned on, the profile path is moved to the redirected folders and the terminal server can no longer find it where it is expecting the profile. Your problem sounds identical to the problem I had and as soon as you can find where the roaming profile path is located and remove it, the sooner I am sure this will correct the problem.

Delete the ntuser.dat information from the profile on the TS if it is still there.

Comment

So I guess it is safe to assume then that under the 'remote desktop services profile' tab in ADUC there was noting defined in the profile path there too?

Do you have a computer joined to the network that will pull a profile? If the computer will pull a profile and the TS won't, then maybe we could narrow it down to the TS.

I do not think the licensing would be an issue. At the very worst ith would give you a temporary license that would expire at some point.

What would happen if you assigned the Domain Users full control to Documents & Setting on the TS to rule out permission problems?

Comment

Ok further development on this.

Looking at the registry on the TS in:
                        HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList

I have some users with the Key "ProfileImagePath" set to the correct location of %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Username however they also have the Key "centralProfile" with values naming an old profile path on the old server. This profile path and Server name no longer exists.

I delete the value in "CentralProfile" using the administrator account then login as the user, I get a clean login. Refresh the registry and the incorrect data path back. I log out of the user and log back in and the "Windows cannot not locate the server copy of your roaming profile" error is back.

Ok so I take a look at the profile from the advanced Tab in TS Computer properties and the user has a Roaming profile. I cannot change it Local Profile as it is greyed out.

Just to refresh, we have a new SBS 2011 Server and a 2003 Standard Server with Terminal Services which is joined to the domain and no further services. I joined the TS server to the domain using the Administrator account of the SBS.
                        The TS does not have AD

Comment

SOLVED

On the Terminal Server in Group Policy

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Service

Set Path for TS Roaming Profiles

It was configured with the path to the old server profiles

Changed it to Not Configured and all works

Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Comment

So after all this dialogue I'm sorry I wasn't able to help. However, I did suggest a roaming profile must be define somewhere.

Comment

You are correct Rob and I thank you and others for their help. Relieved to have finely fixed this.

Now on to the next issue of allowing our SQL Server/Application to email out/Relay through the SBS.

Comment

Working...
                              X