No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Swing migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Swing migration

Hi Guys

We a have a client who wants to upgrade their current SBS Server, The current domain is SBS 2003 and will be upgraded to SBS 2011, they also have a Terminal server on the same site and a additional Domain controller at a remote site connected via hardware VPN.

I have been looking into the various option on achieving the upgrade, the client would like to keep the existing domain so its either a Migration Microsoft style or a SBS swing migration.

Has anyone used Swing migration before with a additional Domain Controller either on site or at a remote site? The swing migration web site doesn't really mention this and as the remote DC will be plugged into the network during the whole migration process I feel this may cause issue. I'm thinking of maybe demoting the remote DC to a member server then promote back when the server is introduced to the network.

I am a bit reluctant to purchase a swing kit until i know if the remote DC will cause an issue.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Swing migration

could just email the swingmigration guys and ask them prior to buying?
    I don't really see why it would cause an issue though..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Swing migration

The second DC is not an issue. As you suggest just demote it before you start and repromote it when you finish. Remember to also clean it out of DNS before you start the Swing Miogration

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.