No announcement yet.

VSS Exchange Writer Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSS Exchange Writer Problem

Hi All,

I've started to see a problem with Backup Exec 2010 Ver13.0 backing up Exchange 2007.
    Been looking at the issue for quite some time and haven't found a answer to my problem.

The server is a SBS 2008 SP2.

As per lots of other Thread's the backup is failing on the Exchange Store.

"V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\"SERVER"\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status."

I have tried the following;

Downloading "BETEST" to test to see if the VSS writer is working;
    get the following error when this is ran;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\VSSSDK72\TestApps\betest\obj\i386> betest

Error in c:\nt\drivers\storage\volsnap\vss\server\tests\bet est\main.cpp(2373):
    - Call pvbc->InitializeForBackup() not succeeded.
    Error code = 0x8000ffff. Error description ="

Tried to log the fault with the VSS by following the following link.

The results dont mean much to me but can provide if required.

During all of this i have made sure that the exchange VSS Writer saids the following;

"Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
    Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}
    Writer Instance Id: {c319cd9b-5620-4a88-9c09-c4e48b6e8104}
    State: [1] Stable
    Last error: No error"

When the backup fails get the following event ID; 34113
    "Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
    (Server: "SBS2008") (Job: "Exchange Backup") Exchange Backup -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status."

The writer error is event ID: 2007 / Source: ESE
    "Information Store (4584) Shadow copy instance 1 aborted."

Any help would be great!!

Like I said, googling has come up with lots of suggestions but none of them have resolve my issue..

Many Thanks

Re: VSS Exchange Writer Problem

Moved to SBS forum for better response
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

This is not specifically an SBS issue. Try re-registering the VSS writers or finding any solution that works for Exchange

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I had exactly the same issue as you, had numerous calls with Symantec and never really resolved the problem it continued to occur but not so much on a regular basis when I configured the exchange backup seperatly to the data\system backup.

Also what AV do you use? May have been coinsidance but when we moved from Sophos to ESET it didnt happen sooo much.

We've since moved to BE 2012 and the problem isnt happening anymore (all be it we're getting other issue's)