No announcement yet.

Old domain Profile.Are the files lost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old domain Profile.Are the files lost?

Hello
    Recenly, I had to migrate XP cleint machines from an old domain running windows 2003 server to SBS 2008. All went well except for one client machine. The Pc was disjointed from the old domain after "all" the files had been backed up. THen the machine was joined to the new domain. It was then discovered that files were missing. Extensive searches on the pc have yet not revealed the files. The old server is still running "as is" though. File searches here have also revealed nothing. If I were to rejoin the pc to the old server, would this help me find the files?

Thanks

Re: Old domain Profile.Are the files lost?

Do you have a profile folder for the old acount in C:\Documents & Settings on the client?
    You may need to change permissions to see the contents.

Alternatively, did you have roaming profiles enabled on the old SBS -- IIRC it was standard behaviour. If so, you can look in the profile location - again, may have to change permissions

I doubt if joining the client back to the old domain will help
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply. Yes. There is a folder for the old account in Documents and settings... but its empty. It is not of the the form user.olddomain so I think it is a local account. In the hidden Recent Documents folder, I found references to the files I need but with the path z:\user.oldDomain\Documents and Settings\My Documents\<filename>. As the Z drive pointed to the server, I chekced here also and still found nothing. Not sure what to do from here

Comment

Are you sure it is empty when you open it?
        If no permission then shows zero size

Backups?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SBS 2003 did NOT do roaming profiles by default. It had an option in the wizards to do folder redirection (My Documents and below) which, if you looked under the skin, was managed by Group Policies.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Steven

The old server has Windows Server 2003 Std running on it not SBS2003. SBS is running on the new server. I thought I read somewhere that old domain files become "inaccessible" (not sure if this is the correct term!) when you switch domains. Am I correct? (I don't want to be!). I certainly know that I did not delete anything from the machine or the old server! Can you advise? Appreciate your help

Comment

Sorry for not reading correctly!
              No client or server system has roaming profiles on by default, if you exclude Terminal Servers. So the profiles should be on the client.
              If the client has a local user name the same as a domain user name, you should see under Documents and Settings a file hierarchy of
              \user
              \user.domain
              (and possibly \user.domain000).
              If he was joined to a new domain, then you should see an additional
              \user.newdomain set of files.
              You may need to alter the permissions to get access to all of them - better to use an account which has administrator permissions on the station.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X