Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help sbs 2003 synchronisation to iphone and samsung android

Dear all,

Really in a pickle with a clients sbs 2003 server.

2 weeks ago email synchronisation to 4 company iphone's ceased without warning, the iphone's simply sit at checking for mail and nothing downloads, it is the same on both wifi and on using mobile data.

We deleted the users email account on the iphone and recreated the exchange connection, fully filling out all fields including domain.

This was unsuccessful, we have ran the exchange best practise analyser which came back clear.

Have also used https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and it was successful.

We created a new user account and email was able to synchronise without error to one of our iphone's, to make this test fair we copied one of the users ad accounts so that it would have similar group membership etc.

I should mention that all devices are iphone 4 all of which are running ios 5.01 or 5.1.

However when we clear all emails from the users inbox to another sub folder new emails will synchronise without error to each device, but when historical emails are copied back into the inbox synchronisation then fails.

At no point with any of the user accounts have we been able to synchronise any calendar appointments to any of the iphones belonging to the users.
    It does however work for the test account we created.

I have tried absolutely every troubleshooting guide I can find on this and nothing has worked. I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone could give me on this.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-fec9b75a409f

Many thanks

Jonathan

Re: Please help sbs 2003 synchronisation to iphone and samsung android

Interesting.

How up-to-date is the server? Do you have the latest updates for Exchange installed?

I would download the SBS 2003 BPA, install and run it. Fix any issues it finds, especially regarding Exchange and IIS updates.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Exchange is sitting at sp2

I have updated exchange 2003 bpa, I have re-scanned the server and no issues have been found to fix.

There have been no configuration changes and no errors are in the event logs

we have turned up iis logging and again no errors have been found.

our next step tomorrow is to exmerge out one users entire mailbox and then use scanpst to check for any errors on it then copy everything back into the mailbox.

really am stuck as to what else to try.

Many thanks

Jonny

Comment

Try the SBS BPA, rather than the Exchange one, as there are SBS specific things in IIS etc which may be the issue.

Does OWA work OK? What type of certificate are you using? Have you tried re-running the CEICW?
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

I am currently running the sbs bpa, thank you

owa does work for all users.

the certificate is a purchased certificate, which is valid, not expired.

will post up any issues found on the sbs bpa

thank you for your reply

Jonathan

Comment

update

sbs 2003 bpa

issue:

sbs 2003 is not compatible with vista / office 2007

i know this is not activesync related but office 2007 is used by the client

would it be worthwhile applying this update, it couldn't hurt?

Thanks

Jonny

Comment

Are the users with the issue members of any built-in groups?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

No, none of the users are issue members.

For one user last night, I exmerged out his entire mailbox to pst, ran scanpst on the pst
                Scanpst found and fixed 97 errors

I re-exmerged in the pst.

Synchronisation still will not work.

Please help.

Comment

*UPDATE*

Upon checking the event logs 5 minutes ago..

I have over 200 server activesync 3005 errors logged and also approx EXCDO 8206 errors.

Upon doing some googling, i have come across the following article and more specifically the following post

link - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-3e4244f9b258

excerpt -

This has been bugging me for a week or more. I finally solved it this morning! The key to solving it is permissions and directory security in IIS for /exchange-oma.
                  I was getting lots of different events in the error log Event ID 3005,3031 and 3012 and this put me on a wild goose chase for a while. In the end it was Microsoft KB article 817379 that solved it - Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003.
                  You must turn off SSL on the exchange-oma virtual directory AND enable ONLY Windows and Basic Authentication. My settings had SSL active (because that's really what I want for Exchange remote access) and for some reason Anonymous permissions and Windows authentication.
                  Anyway, happy now. I have my HP IPaq synchronising, now for the Nokia E61 Smartphone.....
                  I am not guaranteeing a solution here but I hope this helps!
                  BTW - I am running Windows 2003 Server SP1 with Exchange 2003 SP2 all updated. The KB article said to run the Internet and Email wizard to solve this on SBS but this did not, I had to do it manually!
                  Eamon Walsh.

If I apply those changes how long before they take effect?

I will need to modify the configuration on each phone to not use ssl, but would like to be sure that the change is committed server side before making the change on the client.

Many thanks

Jonathan

Comment

If you are using SBS then it's not a good idea to make changes like this manually. If you re-run the CEICW and tell the wizard what protocols you want to allow over the internet to the server everything should be done automatically for you.

If you don't use SSL then you are sending credentials over the internet in plain text, which isn't a good idea obviously.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

IIRC the exchange-oma directory does not have SSL enabled but the \exchange and \exchweb directories do, so there is no necessity to cancel SSL completely, only on the oma directory.
                      In anycase, iff the CEICW does not run, then you should download the SBS BPA and fix all the issues there until the CEICW DOES run. That is your best option.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X