Event 1058 From ghost 2003 server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event 1058 From ghost 2003 server

I did a migration from 2003 SBS to 2008. I followed the Microsoft paper "Migrate to Windows Small Business Server 2008 from Windows Small Business Server 2003". After retiring the 2003 server, the 1058 error: "The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\SERVER\sysvol\LAND.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. "
    I have scoured DNS and removed all entries pointing to the retired server. I have used ADSI Edit to search for the retired server but have not found it in Active Directory.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Event 1058 From ghost 2003 server

Are you getting that error on the SBS server?
    Are you getting any authentication issues with client machines?
    Can you run the RSoP results wizard (you can run it from Group Policy Management on the SBS server) against the computer that has that error? Look through the information it gives you about the applied group policy and any issues it reports.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

"Are you getting that error on the SBS server?"
      Yes - its on the SBS 2008 server.
      "Are you getting any authentication issues with client machines?"
      No - all the client systems are able to authenticate. Although there are DCOM errors that are happening also.
      Can you run the RSoP results wizard (you can run it from Group Policy Management on the SBS server) against the computer that has that error?
      The computer listed is no longer in the Domain. It was the original DC from the 2003 migration.
      Look through the information it gives you about the applied group policy and any issues it reports."

Comment

Originally posted by TXsmbTech View Post
        The computer listed is no longer in the Domain. It was the original DC from the 2003 migration.
        Is this the error you're getting? If so, can you give more detail? Where are you seeing this error, is there any more information with the error, etc?

If that's not the error then I don't know what you're trying to say... maybe you could elaborate a bit for me.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I think you have a redundant GPO left over that needs to be removed. There is a KB article which tells you how to map that GUID given before the \gpt.ini to a group policy name. Once you know the name try looking at it under the GPMC and removing it if it is no longer relevant.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I guess this thread is DEAD. I'm abandoning it.

Kevin Hunt.

Comment

Why? Did you look up the article to map the GUID?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X