Can't access workstaion shares after joining domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access workstaion shares after joining domain

Hope I'm not too ignorant. First posting.

Had three XPPro machines working fine peer-to-peer with shared folders and printers. After installing a SBS2003 Server and joining the workstations to the domain, I cannot access any of the shares on the workstations from other workstations, or even from the Administrator account on the server. Message is "\\ComputerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this resource."

I've un-shared and re-shared the resources, made sure everyone had administrative rights and full control, turned off all firewalls, and disabled the Windows Firewall service. Something in Active Directory I'm maybe missing?

Thanks in advance. Any help much appreciated.

Re: Can't access workstaion shares after joining domain

How did you join the workstations to the domain?

did you use http://servername/connectcomputer ?
    Last edited by John.S; 4th December 2005, 15:36.

Comment

Yes... /connectcomputer...

Comment

What happpens when you log on to one of the XP machines as the domain administrator, then try accessing the shares via \\thismachinename\sharename ?
        also can you access \\xpmachinename\c$ from the server ?

Comment

I figured it out... The existing local user accounts had no passwords, but I had to assign a domain password so the workstations could access the server, so there was no password when logging onto the local machine, but a password required to log onto the domain. I logged onto the local machine, changed the user password to match the domain password, logged back off, logged onto the domain, and the shares were available again! Amazing...

I really appreciate your responses. They kick started my thought process. If I can ever be of any help, let me know.

Comment

Well done!! Thanks also for posting the solution to your problem.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X