No announcement yet.

sbs2003 Premium upgrade path with isa..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs2003 Premium upgrade path with isa..

I met with a potential lead yesterday.. and i'm future thinking a little.
    they have SBS2003 - obviously premium because they have ISA server sitting on it as well - an inward and outward nic (the standard SBS03 setup method)

this leads me to feel their hardware is probably old, or will be soon (to say nothing of EOL for SBS when it approaches)

so at some point, i'd hope to convince them to upgrade.

they only have one servera at present. I know sbs2011 premium doesn't come with ISA.

So it leaves me with maybe this option?

Svr1: SBS2011 Standard
    Svr2: SBS2011 Premium AddOn, with HyperV
    Svr3: forefront TMG guest on Svr2

would that be the best way to achieve.. ?
    (i should be able to export rulesets from isa2000/4 and import to TMG.. so that's ok)

my only concern is needing to convince them to pay for an additional ISA licence, and W2008 licence? (Do I need the additional w2k8 licence?)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: sbs2003 Premium upgrade path with isa..

If the premium add-on is 2008 Standard then you are licensed for 1 VM I believe, 4 with Enterprise and Unlimited with Datacentre.

TMG is probably overkill though. All of the migrations I've done from SBS 2003 Premium have involved changing to a hardware firewall. We've been installing Watchguard XTMs in place of ISA 2004, as TMG is just too expensive to convince SBS users to shell out for.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

yea.. it probaly is.. i'm just considering options
      dunno what firewall I'd look at tbh.. fortigate perhaps ? I've worked with them a bit.

Drayteks.. but they aren't really firewall-grade enough for what I beleive this place has
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

FWIW I have been using Fortigate/Atera/Draytec and Checkpoint SBox.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Also going off-topic slightly, but I have concerns about TMG as a product. Ignoring the fact that it may well be the end of the line as far as Microsoft firewall products go, it just isn't as stable as ISA 2004/6 was. We've had issues with malware and HTTPS inspection breaking websites, with some users only able to get internet access as web proxy clients even though authentication is not enforced and massive issues with inconsistent behaviour on Enterprise installs. There are apparently "compatibility issues" between TMG and NLB which SP2 for TMG was supposed to fix and hasn't in our case.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X